New addition pre-wire junction box help>

LocoRob

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All, in process of building an extension off the back of my house and doing a lot of pre-wire work before siding goes up. I only have a week or so left to get everything complete before my guys come in and get the addition weather tight.

I'm running smurf tube so I can easily chase cat6a through and future proofing for any additional needs. Looking at putting in a junction box for future use I can connect the smurf tube to, but am unsure of what box I can use and hide into the soffit. I attached a couple pictures showing the location of where I'm thinking of locating the cameras. Figure I would run the smurf tube and wire through the top of the top plate and down the soffit.

My goal is to future proof the installation as I'm not sure what camera system I'm going to use (Dahua vs Hikvision, etc), so I'm not sure if there is universal box I can use and put a weather tight plate on top until I install a camera? Just need some help/guideance really quick on this one so I can get the correct parts on order for delivery.

Thanks for any help and guidance!!

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All, in process of building an extension off the back of my house and doing a lot of pre-wire work before siding goes up. I only have a week or so left to get everything complete before my guys come in and get the addition weather tight.

I'm running smurf tube so I can easily chase cat6a through and future proofing for any additional needs. Looking at putting in a junction box for future use I can connect the smurf tube to, but am unsure of what box I can use and hide into the soffit. I attached a couple pictures showing the location of where I'm thinking of locating the cameras. Figure I would run the smurf tube and wire through the top of the top plate and down the soffit.

My goal is to future proof the installation as I'm not sure what camera system I'm going to use (Dahua vs Hikvision, etc), so I'm not sure if there is universal box I can use and put a weather tight plate on top until I install a camera? Just need some help/guideance really quick on this one so I can get the correct parts on order for delivery.

Thanks for any help and guidance!!
Welcome @LocoRob

I'd look at places cameras lower than those points, and would also try to cover the other corner also.

LocoRob

n3wb
Reaction score
Going to hug the eaves of the house to better protect the cameras from the elements. Eaves are about 9ft to ground level approximately (9ft walls on house). My thought process now to future proof is to maybe install one of the nail on single gang low voltage boxes (orange hollow ones) and connect the smurf tube there. Pull the line through and leave a string tied. When the soffits are installed, I'll just make sure the guys drill a tiny hole and pull the string through so I know the location. Pending what camera system I go for, I'd drill out the hole where the string is, and II'm thinking or hoping the weather tight junction box I'd get would screw to the rafter tail on top of the low volt box. Just have to make sure the opening of the camera junction box lands over top of the low volt box to pull the Cat6a through.

This seam reasonable, or are there other ideas out there people have done. Searched a bunch, but couldn't really find anything towards what I'm looking to do. Cameras for me is in the distant future, probably in next 1+yr or so. Want to make this look nice in meantime before camera installs.

Reaction score
Going to hug the eaves of the house to better protect the cameras from the elements. Eaves are about 9ft to ground level approximately (9ft walls on house).
At 9ft you will get good shots of the top of perp's heads. Chances are you will not get any good face shots of anyone at that height. As they get close enough to have a good number of pixels on their face for an ID, your view will be from too high a point to see their face.

That is why we always say to use a test rig to select the position before you start running cable.

That being said, your idea of pre-running to a box in the soffit could work for you as then you would just fish down from there to a lower position on the wall next to your sliding doors (or up from a hole in that lower position to the soffit).