New and still a little confused.

justabeginner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
First, thanks to all who have posted so much helpful information. I'm new to the forums and happy to have found them. I have learned a lot from reading on IPC but it does get over my head when I get into the details.

I want both my incoming and outgoing information to be private and not expose my network to hacking nor have my data collected and sold. $$$ is not unlimited but I am willing to spend what I need to in order to have a safe and secure home system.

What I have (from before I started reading IPC) :
EZVIZ DVR with 4 cameras that I view on my iPhone with EZVIZ app from my home wifi...never away from home. If I read correctly these systems are not necessarily secure and might expose my network. Is this correct if viewed on a device connected to my home WIFI? I'm not worried about neighbors hacking my system so that is not an issue.

After reading on IPC I want to build a secure system that I feel safe about. I have purchased a Dell Optiplex 9020 SFF, Intel Core i7-4790, 16GB RAM, 480GB SSD, Windows 10 Pro, USB WiFi Adapter. This will be dedicated to cameras. I installed Blue Iris software and purchased two IPC 4 mp fixed bullet network cameras which I am still trying to figure out how to install and plan to install more once I am up and running. Currently I can't get BI to recognize the cameras but I'll get there.

I have ordered a Linksys WRT3200ACM AC3200 DD-WRT FlashRouter with Nord VPN installed to protect my privacy for basic internet surfing.

If I understand correctly I need to install a VPN server such as OpenVPN on my router so that I can securely view my cameras from a device outside my network. Is this correct?

If I use the Blue Iris app on my iPhone and view my cameras ONLY using my home WIFI connection (same network that my cameras are on) do I still need a VPN server?

Thanks in advance.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Nord vpn is a waste of money. Slowing you down and paying to give your info to a third party who you can trust less than your isp.

justabeginner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I want both. I want my internet activity to be private AND I want to be able to view my cameras securely. I thought NordVPN would allow the first and OpenVPN Server installed on my router or PC would provide the latter.

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm not gong to comment on VPN service providers as I currently don't use one, but you do have the right idea. A paid VPN service provides outgoing "privacy" and OpenVPN server provides a secure connection to your home network.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What I have (from before I started reading IPC) :
EZVIZ DVR with 4 cameras that I view on my iPhone with EZVIZ app from my home wifi...never away from home. If I read correctly these systems are not necessarily secure and might expose my network. Is this correct if viewed on a device connected to my home WIFI? I'm not worried about neighbors hacking my system so that is not an issue.

After reading on IPC I want to build a secure system that I feel safe about. I have purchased a Dell Optiplex 9020 SFF, Intel Core i7-4790, 16GB RAM, 480GB SSD, Windows 10 Pro, USB WiFi Adapter. This will be dedicated to cameras. I installed Blue Iris software and purchased two IPC 4 mp fixed bullet network cameras which I am still trying to figure out how to install and plan to install more once I am up and running. Currently I can't get BI to recognize the cameras but I'll get there.

I have ordered a Linksys WRT3200ACM AC3200 DD-WRT FlashRouter with Nord VPN installed to protect my privacy for basic internet surfing.

If I understand correctly I need to install a VPN server such as OpenVPN on my router so that I can securely view my cameras from a device outside my network. Is this correct?

If I use the Blue Iris app on my iPhone and view my cameras ONLY using my home WIFI connection (same network that my cameras are on) do I still need a VPN server?

Thanks in advance.
Welcome @justabeginner

EZVIZ dvr / nvr / cameras:
Q: "..If I read correctly these systems are not necessarily secure and might expose my network. Is this correct if viewed on a device connected to my home WIFI? .. "
A: Depends on if the video / auth login is routed through the internet before going to your mobile device. Many EZVIZ branded products by default use cloud services from Hikvision iirc. So you want to disconnect the internet connection from your WiFi router and see if things still work. If they do not - then your kit is cloud dependent and that is where many of us have more concerns about security issues.

Q: 'If I understand correctly I need to install a VPN server such as OpenVPN on my router so that I can securely view my cameras from a device outside my network. Is this correct?"
A: Yes. You would also need to install the VPN client on your mobile or remote desktop.

note for those following this discussion: NordVPN or a similar VPN service is not needed for a secure accessing of your security cameras remotely. Justabeginner is planning to use it for websurfing and the like ...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

justabeginner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Welcome @justabeginner

EZVIZ dvr / nvr / cameras:
Q: "..If I read correctly these systems are not necessarily secure and might expose my network. Is this correct if viewed on a device connected to my home WIFI? .. "
A: Depends on if the video / auth login is routed through the internet before going to your mobile device. Many EZVIZ branded products by default use cloud services from Hikvision iirc. So you want to disconnect the internet connection from your WiFi router and see if things still work. If they do not - then your kit is cloud dependent and that is where many of us have more concerns about security issues.

Q: 'If I understand correctly I need to install a VPN server such as OpenVPN on my router so that I can securely view my cameras from a device outside my network. Is this correct?"
A: Yes. You would also need to install the VPN client on your mobile or remote desktop.

note for those following this discussion: NordVPN or a similar VPN service is not needed for a secure accessing of your security cameras remotely. Justabeginner is planning to use it for websurfing and the like ...
That first answer is exactly what I was trying to understand. Thanks for the post.