New backyard Wildlife Cam Install

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Inspired by 'ol Lare's (and many of you other fellas') CritterCams I've been meaning to install a "Wildlife Cam" in my back yard to try and capture the raccoons, foxes, deer and woodchuck who ramble through our backyard. To this end I went to Home Depot today and purchased $25.00 worth of parts and banged out my wildlife cam installation together this afternoon. This was a very inexpensive installation, due in large part to the 10-foot by 2-inch PVC pipe I used to install the cam. After completing the installation I'm reasonably convinced that, in a high wind, the 2-inch PVC is going to sway which will be unacceptable, so I may replace the PVC with a steel pipe or simply fill the PVC with concrete to introduce rigidity to the PVC. However, all-in-all I'm satisfied with the end result and here are the pictures...

WLC-07.jpgWLC-06.jpgWLC-05.jpgWLC-03.jpgWLC-01.jpgWLC-02.jpgWLC-04.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nice Q! Looking forward to seeing some Megatroplin wildlife.

It'll be interesting to see how the camera handles wet weather too.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nice Q! Looking forward to seeing some Megatroplin wildlife.

It'll be interesting to see how the camera handles wet weather too.
That's one of those "Longse" branded "5 MegaGixel 1/1.8" low light destroyer" units that Klaspica let us know about a while back Atom. It's been temp-mounted on outside an post for a few weeks and endured some nasty wet weather for 5 days last week. If it suffers I'll let you know. Here's a link to the seller and the unit. The seller advertises it as IP66 rated.

Looks great, some may cosider the 4" black pvc sewer pipe as it is very stiff.
That's a good idea indeed Jack. However, I wanted to use my handy-dandy $2.97 Home Depot mount-o-matic which only handles 2" pipe, max. I may drop a 10-foot 3/4" pvc pipe over the cat5e cable (and inside the 2" pipe) to create a clear cable conduit and then fill the inside of the 2" PVC pipe with concrete or sand to see if it stabilizes the installation. Lot's of wind last night however and no sway in the recorded video. No critters either :-(

Home-Depot-Store-Sku-567450.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd spray it black Q. The camera is fugly but your install is much nicer.
Indeed...I wanted to mate...but I was in such a big rush...up against WifeDisapprovalSyndrone (WDS)...that I knew if I tried to paint the camera it would end badly...yet if I took the extra time to paint the camera carefully that would end worse. In the end I settled for the less painful outcome.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Indeed...I wanted to mate...but I was in such a big rush...up against WifeDisapprovalSyndrone (WDS)...that I knew if I tried to paint the camera it would end badly...yet if I took the extra time to paint the camera carefully that would end worse. In the end I settled for the less painful outcome.
What? Divorce?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
First critter capture! Not too sure what it is and more than a little disappointed about the image quality!

First-Qritter.jpg

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
whats it look like at night?
Here are comparative (day vs. night) BI snapshots of my Longse LRDC60S500 3.6mm backyard "Wildlife Cam"...

Day Time Snapshot

Longse-LRDC60S500-3.6mm-Day.jpg

Night Time Snapshot
(No added illumination except the Longse's builtin IR)

Longse-LRDC60S500-3.6mm-Night.jpg

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you might bring it down a little bit and focus the IR more outwards, I thought that looked wide for a 6mm nice to see the fov on a 3.6