New Blue Iris Review

cg03026

n3wb
Reaction score
I didn’t want to implement a stand-alone NVR. This server software that runs on one of my PCs is fantastic and meets my needs. Together the PC Blue Iris server software and the smart phone App do everything I could ask for.

I have configured into Blue Iris cameras from both TRENDnet and SUNBA manufacturers, all purchased on Amazon.

I have configured all cameras to record continuously - 24/7. But you can establish time of day recordings or motion-triggered recordings if that’s your preference. I have the storage capacity for continuous recording.

The PC is loaded with two 1TB SSD drives dedicated to retaining 30 days of content for all of the 6 cameras I have installed into Blue Iris. I plan to add a HIkvision doorbell camera as soon as it arrives from ALIExpress (not available yet in U.S.).

The server software allows review of saved videos and they can be viewed slowly or at speeds up to 256x. The videos or portions can be exported to .mp4 format.

I will say because Blue Iris is so robust there is a substantial learning curve to become fluent with all its features. And independently of Blue Iris one needs to be experienced with their router, with static IP addresses for the cameras, and proper port forwarding. Basic router/camera stuff.

But in the end, using this server side software on a PC along with my iPhone and the great Blue Iris smart phone App, I have full access to all my cameras, video & audio (audio if supported by the camera) from inside the home or from ANYWHERE in the world.

The server software is reasonably priced and the App is a very affordable $10. You cannot go wrong.

If you look around the Internet at camera and camera software blogs and reviews, etc. you will consistently see rave reviews of Blue Iris, which is often shortened to "BI"

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I didn’t want to implement a stand-alone NVR. This server software that runs on one of my PCs is fantastic and meets my needs. Together the PC Blue Iris server software and the smart phone App do everything I could ask for.

I have configured into Blue Iris cameras from both TRENDnet and SUNBA manufacturers, all purchased on Amazon.

I have configured all cameras to record continuously - 24/7. But you can establish time of day recordings or motion-triggered recordings if that’s your preference. I have the storage capacity for continuous recording.

The PC is loaded with two 1TB SSD drives dedicated to retaining 30 days of content for all of the 6 cameras I have installed into Blue Iris. I plan to add a HIkvision doorbell camera as soon as it arrives from ALIExpress (not available yet in U.S.).

The server software allows review of saved videos and they can be viewed slowly or at speeds up to 128x. The videos or portions can be exported to .mp4 format.

I will say because Blue Iris is so robust there is a substantial learning curve to become fluent with all its features. And independently of Blue Iris one needs to be experienced with their router, with static IP addresses for the cameras, and proper port forwarding. Basic router/camera stuff.

But in the end, using this server side software on a PC along with my iPhone and the great Blue Iris smart phone App, I have full access to all my cameras, video & audio (audio if supported by the camera) from inside the home or from ANYWHERE in the world.

The server software is reasonably priced and the App is free. You cannot go wrong.

If you look around the Internet at camera and camera software blogs and reviews, etc. you will consistently see rave reviews of Blue Iris, which is often shortened to "BI"
FYI, you can playback at 256x and the blue iris app is 10 dollars not free.