New build - Need help with recommendations

Sri345

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello All - I’m new to this fabulous forum. Kudos and great thanks to all the contributors. I have went through the cliff notes and wiki but still have several questions and need help with identifying suitable gear. went through lots of threads but didn’t find best options for a new build. This could be one of wiki...
‘I’m doing a new build (~4500 sqft + 2500 sqft finished basement). I’ll be starting framing in a week so have option to run whatever I need. This is what my usecase is:
1) RUN Home automation - Use Home Assistant (not an expert coder, so would like to pick compatible items to make integration easy)
2) Would like to have wall tablets (family, kitchen, basement, master bed) - show camera feed, door bell, other sensors, audio, etc - can use fully kiosk browser on fire tablets
3) security system - door sensors (3 exterior entry points), 2-3 indoor sensors, window sensors (8), glass break (have a sunroom), flood detection, fire detection, CO, etc
4) other sensors - temp, motion detection to automate lights on/off, temparature sensor, thermostat, hvac sensor, etc
5) cameras (prefer poe) - video door bell, exterior 2, sides 1 or 2 each and backyard 2; need motion detection and flood lights based on motion, siren - need something which is easy to integrate with home assistant
6) Alarm system - have option to hardwire if preferred. Planning to have a media closet in basement where cat cables terminate... need the alarm to integrate with Home Assistant
7) WiFi - will get a mesh network and Poe switch - any recommendations
8) home audio - stereo speakers in 6 zones - thinking of HTD 6 channel whole home audio, Alexa centric. - any other recommendations which integrate better with HA?
9)Video - I’ll just run cat cables for TV. Will connect fire stick Locally. We watch mostly prime, Netflix and other subscriptions only. In family room I may just add sound bar. Considering media room in basement with projector. But it will be separate. No central video mgmt. as I can get everything done via 20$ fire stick locally
10) cables - cat 5 or cat 6, what should I run for sensors, if hardwiring alarm panel what do I do?

may I get recommendations. I’m not handy. I can buy all and give it to the electrician and he will have to do the wiring.

Any assistance is much appreciated.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Run two ethernet wires to all locations.
A wired alarm system, doors and windows.
For now run cables do not worry about cameras and what type of systems.
============================================
My house:
1) the front door needs three cameras, one doorbell camera, one pointing at the package drop area, one pointing back to the front door.
2) the garage entrance Needs two cameras pointing out mounted no higher than the top of the garage door.
3) the inside of the garage need two cameras one point at the garage door and one point at the house entrance
4) each entrance to the house must be covered by a camera.
5) each camera must be covered by another camera, If i can destroy a camera it must be covered, recorded by another camera.
6) in my house all public areas inside are covered, kitchen, living room, dining room, halls, game room, den
7) all outside doors are covered by a camera inside, pointing out.

8) if you have young kids, there bed rooms.
===================================================

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Read Study Plan before spending money
Cameras are for surveillance to get information for after the fact. Cameras are NOT a deterrent.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
3) Start with a good variable focus camera, so you test for the correct lens,lighting, camera placement.
4) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
5) Do not use wifi cameras.
6) Do not use cloud storage
7) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
8) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
9) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
10) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo, Vivint cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
11) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
12) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
13) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
14) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
15) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
16) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator
17) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List
18) Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart
19) Camera lens size, a bigger number give more range but less field of view. Which Security Camera Lens Size Should I Buy?
20) verify your camera placement, have a friend wearing a hoodie, ball cap and sunglasses looking down approach the house, can you identify them at night ?
21) DO NOT UPGRADE your NVR or camera unless you absolutely have a problem that needs to be fixed and known what you are doing, if you do you will turn it into a brick !!

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Doing it right the first time will save you money.
Test do not guess

Sri345

n3wb
Reaction score
hi - any specific recommendations on what i need to buy for alarm panel and cameras (say 8-10)

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
look at the home security system thread.

I use a hardwired Honeywell system.

===============================================================
For your new camera system start with one high quality variable focus camera. Test your camera placement for each of your planned cameras, test the mounting location, test the required lens, tst coverage. Each test must be at night with motion, have a "Bad Guy" wearing a hoodie move past the camera at 15 to 20 FT out, can you ID the "Bad guy"
, will it be useful to the cops, will it stand up in court?
Go Slow, learn as you go.

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-HDW5442t-ZE .... Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE 4MP Varifocal Turret - Night Perfomance testing -- variable focus 2.7 mm-12mm 4 MP Starlight
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+ -- variable 2.7mm-12mm bullet
IPC-B5442E-Z4E .... bullet 8mm-32mm variable focus zoom 4MP
IPC-HFW7442H-Z ..... Review - Dahua IPC-HFW7442H-Z 4MP Ultra AI Varifocal Bullet Camera -- 4 MP variable focus AI

=================================================================
if you are interested in International Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua (and some Hikvision) and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
You can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store. The cameras are fully upgradable, he posts upgrade software when available.

I recommend emailing Andy for a quote

Andy
@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: EmpireTech Andy
Andy's AliExpress store: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress
Andy's Amazon store: Amazon.com

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.