New Camera needed

dd_d

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.After looking at countless videos and reviews. I am thoroughly confused.

Manyyears ago I purchase a Panasonic BB-HCM581A. It has been essentially useless. I think I want what most people want, acamera that can be used to identify what it is shooting. I need a camera for night security andwildlife view. A camera where I can identify what kind of car is driving thrumy cul de sac at night. A camera where I can tell if it is a coyote or a dog atnight if it is moving. It would be niceif it could be used to identify a potential intruder at night. With my currentcamera, I can’t tell what anything is if there is almost any movement. What awaste of money.

I havemy camera in my house shooting thru a window to the cul de sac about 125 ftaway. There seems to be sufficient light with the street lights. Any suggestions? I am willing to go up toaround 1,000. Thank you

dalepa

Reaction score
Welcome to the group!

i had a nice reply, then my browser crashed :sad2:

Basically Blue Iris, a hikvision 2032 and 2432 will do everything you are asking for and then some. Just add PCs power and cables

Lots of helpful DYI folks here, so you are in the right place, even for coyote and bobcat detection

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Dont point it out a window. Get an outdoor camera. Do you want sd card recording? recording to a pc?
IF you are adamant about using a camera out a window then you should look at these http://www.hikvision.com/en/products.asp?cid=285
the 1.3 mp versions will perform better in low light particularly the DS-2CD8464F-EIW. You will need to disable the ir light (via the firmware).

dd_d

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you!

I really prefer the camera in the house. We have some problem teens in the area. Don't want to have my camera shot. In my backyard I use an outdoor infrared illuminator. I have a Ycam bullet inside the window. Not too bad, but would probably like to replace it also.

Do most cameras require the IR light to be disabled thru the firmware? On my Ycam I just taped around the lens when I couldn't figure out how to disable them for night viewing with the outdoor infrared thru a window.

dd_d

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Both of my cameras have sd cards and I think can also record to my pc (sorry - I am not very knowledegable on the subject)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
hikvision allows you to disable it via firmware, some others dont. Its easier than tape.

dd_d

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Great shot of the bobcat. Don't have any here in Atlanta. Love to watch the fox and coyotes though.

dd_d

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The 1.3 would be better than the 3.0MP?

Also, read the review of the Dahua SD59230S-HN. Is that just overkill for my situation? I seem
to be hung up on the 60fpm being far superior.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
For low light scenarios yes. You will find that for the most part the higher the megapixel rating the worse it performs in low light. 60fps? surely you jest. There is almost never a need for more than 10-15. 60fps is useless for your needs, also the camera can only do 60fps at 720p not 1080. Dahua SD59230S-HN? where are you going to mount that huge dome indoors???

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
60 FPS is not useful for normal security recording. Don't let it be a factor in your choice.

1.3 megapixel versions of the Hikvision cameras are supposedly better at night than the 3.0 MP versions, but the 3.0 MP versions are better during the day. Either one will be a huge improvement over what you have now.

dalepa

Reaction score
I just set my hikvision to use day mode to disable IR.

A visible camera in the yard should deter most kids, if not, it's time to move :)

Thank you!

I really prefer the camera in the house. We have some problem teens in the area. Don't want to have my camera shot. In my backyard I use an outdoor infrared illuminator. I have a Ycam bullet inside the window. Not too bad, but would probably like to replace it also.

Do most cameras require the IR light to be disabled thru the firmware? On my Ycam I just taped around the lens when I couldn't figure out how to disable them for night viewing with the outdoor infrared thru a window.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dd_d

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, the SD59230S-HN would be a problemsize wise. Looked at the SD52C230S-HN and themini domes also. If I can spend under 200 and get what I need that would begreat. But I am not opposed to spending more if the quality of the resultswould justify it. Could I see any detail in something like a car, animal orperson running or would it just be a blur?

Also, there seems to be a bit of a preference among people for Dahua. Is it justified? Comparing the Dahua IPC-HFW4300S and the DS-2CD2032-I (or their 1.3mp counterparts)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
there are tons of videos online check out networkcameracritic.com for the best image you need to mount outside. How do you intend to mount even the small domes or bullets inside? are you going to build some sort of mount or drill into your windows molding?

dd_d

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have the current camera on the window ledge and the blinds behind it hold it up. I've thought I could add one of those cat window shelves if needed. Crazy, but effective.

dd_d

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My Ycam in the back is on a small table

dd_d

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What do you think about the Dahua SD42212S-HN ?

dd_d

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is anyone aware of a pivot mount that would allow me to attach to the wall next to (parallel to) the window and then position the SD42212S-HN facing the window. I really need the camera to be indoors unfortunately. There are several street lights in my view area and the zoom capabaility should be useful.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by a pivot mount, but I have that cam. You can get a wall mount for it that makes it like most other PTZs. It does not hang down particularly far though, so you might have trouble getting it low enough to see out the window properly. Also this model has very limited upward tilt range, made worse by the fact that the edge of the dome obscures the highest part of the view.

dd_d

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was thinking more like a 180 degree like arm (maybe pivot) mount from the wall to the side of the window to allow me to position it at a good height for the view