New construction low voltage installation for future question

nakashima

n3wb
Reaction score
My home is just past the framing stage and the electrician just finished up. I will be running my low voltage wires for the cameras very soon. I just have one question. When i run the wire to the exterior of the home, how do I terminate the end considering I won't be installing the cameras until after the home closes. Will a home pass inspection with wires danging from the walls? Or are there junction boxes or mounting for the particular cameras I will be getting?. Thanks guys.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There are specific boxes for your specific cameras. If it were me, I'd install the boxes, pull in the cable, leave some slack and if time permits, terminate it with RJ45 while up there. Either way, screw the matching, gasketed lid on the box to protect the wiring, terminated or not. You should be able to coil up a couple of feet inside the box and even push some extra back into wall, eave or soffit.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @nakashima

There's a number of options.

At this point TEST the positions you are considering, remember to pay attention to future light fixutres...
see this
Light fixture causing washout (photo)

Depending on the construction, I would consider:

For a new construction, especially due to newer insulation methods, I like to have plenty of extra cable in a nice 2-gang or deep 1-gang box. I like metal boxes much more than plastic, and I like to have a good amount of wood on either side of the box so that I can at least drive longer screws on one side of the camera base or the junction box / wall mount into the studs / plywood. If you know the type of cameras you will have mounted, you can even use the appropriate junction boxes at this time.

If the insulation is a batt / fiberglass then I can skip the gang box as the loose insulation gives me a chance to stuff as much cable as I want back into the wall cavity.

Remember to over cable ( N+1 per drop ) w/quality cat5e/6 cable ( solid copper wire, 23-24 AWG ) - run the cables longer than you would expect - leave at least a few feet extra, you can trim it later if you have the need.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Don't mount your cameras too high. Lower, more effective camera locations are harder to wire after the fact.

Get 2 spools of wire that are different colors. This will make pulling 2 cables to a drop much easier.

nakashima

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @nakashima

There's a number of options.

At this point TEST the positions you are considering, remember to pay attention to future light fixutres...
see this
Light fixture causing washout (photo)

Depending on the construction, I would consider:

For a new construction, especially due to newer insulation methods, I like to have plenty of extra cable in a nice 2-gang or deep 1-gang box. I like metal boxes much more than plastic, and I like to have a good amount of wood on either side of the box so that I can at least drive longer screws on one side of the camera base or the junction box / wall mount into the studs / plywood. If you know the type of cameras you will have mounted, you can even use the appropriate junction boxes at this time.

If the insulation is a batt / fiberglass then I can skip the gang box as the loose insulation gives me a chance to stuff as much cable as I want back into the wall cavity.

Remember to over cable ( N+1 per drop ) w/quality cat5e/6 cable ( solid copper wire, 23-24 AWG ) - run the cables longer than you would expect - leave at least a few feet extra, you can trim it later if you have the need.
Perfect, Thank you.