New Construction. Pull through Brick or install junction box?

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am in the process of building a new home and wiring for a few security cameras. Two of these cameras will be on brick walls. Should I A) Just have the Cat5E pulled out for the brick layers to brick/mortar around? B) Have a round/rectangle outdoor junction box be put in to be bricked around? One of the cameras will be above the front door to one side and the other camera will be on the back of the house with views of the backyard and door.

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Billkater

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am in the process of building a new home and wiring for a few security cameras. Two of these cameras will be on brick walls. Should I A) Just have the Cat5E pulled out for the brick layers to brick/mortar around? B) Have a round/rectangle outdoor junction box be put in to be bricked around? One of the cameras will be above the front door to one side and the other camera will be on the back of the house with views of the backyard and door.

Thank you for any help you can provide!
Use a box and conduit to the interior. That way if you have a bad piece of cat5 you can pull new. Just running through the block and mortar around it will most likely rub through the wire sooner or later

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Use a box and conduit to the interior. That way if you have a bad piece of cat5 you can pull new. Just running through the block and mortar around it will most likely rub through the wire sooner or later

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Is a round box or rectangle box preferred? Thanks!

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Did you pick cameras?
I used a round Dahua junction box which is made for the starlight turret, so easy to mount with it and fits perfectly.

Also, I would make REALLY sure you are going to like the camera locations if you are going to have the junction boxes built into your house like that. For instance, if you put them too high you will get good pics of the tops of heads when you want to see their faces.

Reaction score
Did you pick cameras?
I used a round Dahua junction box which is made for the starlight turret, so easy to mount with it and fits perfectly.

Also, I would make REALLY sure you are going to like the camera locations if you are going to have the junction boxes built into your house like that. For instance, if you put them too high you will get good pics of the tops of heads when you want to see their faces.
Thanks for the input. I think the front door cable might be too high. I was just thinking the same thing looking at it today. It will probably be around 3 feet above the double wood front door to the side a bit. I was thinking about moving it to just above the door but to the far side.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
3 feet above the door sounds too high.

This may be difficult for a house in construction, but I like to recommend getting a camera, mounting it on a 2x4, and testing the locations you are considering. See what you will be getting. Do it during the day, and at night, things look different in the dark.

You can also try this tool:
Camera Calculator / Design Software

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mount it just at the top of the door for best results, middle of doorway. Paint cam to match brick color.
Get a junction box that properly fits the camera model you choose. Have it bricked in. Will make for a much neater install.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Using a joint box 1st is ugly as F#@k and 2nd not secure.

If you doing build works cut a 50mm x50mm hole out, this will allow for the cat5 connector to sit behind the camera and not hinder the fixing of the camera, then using a small bit of sealant around the ipc to stay dry.

Cables don't move on there own if you do it right the 1st time it lasts and lasts. mounting on boxes other than the ones made for the ipc just looks so DIY.

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Several clients had their builders install boxes for us before bricking. They just bricked around it.
Seems to have worked great... Mounted our equipment and has a nice box to tuck the ip connection into.
This isnt my picture but it looked similar.... Kept it nice and small without being too big incase the next homeowner removed the cameras and wanted to put a cover and paint it to blend in....

Since you're building I'll add a note since we do a lot of work on custom homes throughout all parts of construction.

I agree, I would like a piece of conduit into the attic, makes future runs easier for replacements. Homes that are spray foamed for example need conduit for future runs.

Ie, This client wanted all TV/DATA runs to be in smurf tubes from end locations through to the attic so he never had to worry about not being able to rerun anything after they spray foamed....

These weren't for security cameras obviously... But same principle.

Here you can see through multiple rooms where we ran the tubing. This client was future proofing his house. lol... But when you go spray foam you gotta think about these things.

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Of course, prevents flex of the box like I posted.

Here's a better example... the above is just what I saw first on Google.

Last edited:

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Me? Yes, that's standard around here.
Sorry, wasn't sure who you were replying to.
(Both my brick photos were from Google. Only the interior with orange tubing is actually my photos)

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
I was also refering to the OP's house. Down here most houses are cbs and commercial building that are newer are tilt wall.