New Construction - What do you think of my IP camera placements, Suggestions?

Reaction score
Hey guys we are currently building my family home and would like to add some IP cameras, I have installed 16 channel systems multiple times in the past at work and other locations. I am concerned with taking away from the beauty of the home with too many cameras plastered all around the outside. I would like to get a view from every angle of the home with as few cameras as possible. I have marked where I think IP cameras would go. Please let me know what you guys think and if you would omit some or change location of some. Thanks

Attachments

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
your front door cam location is crap, looks like you intend on having it a dozen feet in the air looking at the back of people's heads.. should be looking at the face of the person at the door and as low as you can get it.. everyone's gonna turn around and look down the stairs, so you'll never get an ID shot.

you should always try to get people on the approach, not the departure.. what do you think a criminal is going to do?
1. Approach Slowly, Retreat Quickly
2. Approach Quickly, Retreat Slowly

the correct answer is obvious..

Last edited by a moderator:

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
IMO

Front of house (most of these these can be concealed under the eaves most likely so they won’t take away from the visual appeal of the home).

I would center cameras over garage, this will provide driveway coverage for all coming and going vehicles. Also by centering you move the camera away from the coach lights on the side of the garage which can cause issues with IR when mounted directly above or beside them. Based on distances you will want a 4mm or possibly a 6mm camera.

I would then mount cameras under the inside corners of the garage that will crisscross your front yard. This will provide you coverage of individuals that way approach from either drive way. These will need to be 6mm, possibly 4mm cameras.

For the entry way I would place a mini dome at eye level to the far corner of one side (side your doorbell or intercom is located). While this one may not be as visually appealing it will provide direct on face shots of those approaching the door. Your location will be to high as that entry way is prob 12’+ so all you will see is the top of a head, and if someone is wearing a ball cap you prob. won’t see anything but that cap.

Right Side:
Side Camera under eave to cover side garage window

Same place as you placed the one covering side window of home

Rear of home:
Without knowing what you have in the back yard or actually distances your placement appears solid. I would consider moving a camera under the porch though to cover all the glass doors though.

Left Side:
I made a few moves and added two.

All these are recommendations. Honestly without seeing the property or knowing measurements a lot of this is a shot in the dark.

There are a few programs out there that you can load these blue prints into and then play with sensor size and camera locations that will show you the throw distances etc. I would stick traditionally to Turrets under the eaves of the home so they are out of the way and do not take away from the beautiful home.
See attached images for my thoughts - also don't forget to take into count where your downspouts will be located. To many times people try to pre plan for corner mounts and pull wire directly behind a downspout. While the downspout is great to help conceal a camera they will reflect IR and blind a camera if you put it in the wrong spot.Nice home and good luck!

Cameras 1 edit.jpgCameras 2 edit.jpgCameras 4 edit.jpg

wabader

n3wb
Reaction score
You're making this info public? Any criminal can get to this info and use it to their advantage. Be careful what kind of info you post on public forums

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
one should not rely on video surveillance in any way/shape/form to remain secure; its just an evidence gathering system.. not active security.

as for the architectural drawings, those are likely already public knowledge.. I bet anyone can go to his county clerk, pay a few dollars and get those same images.

If you rely on obsecurity; then you have no security.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
You're making this info public? Any criminal can get to this info and use it to their advantage. Be careful what kind of info you post on public forums

You gain no information from this exterior grade blue print. You may make assumptions as to where in the country it is located based on materials used/siding etc, but you are talking about a single home somewhere in the world... Also these are not interior layout prints or discussions regarding security measures, these are "potential" camera locations - locations that would be obvious to anyone walking around a property...

Last edited by a moderator:

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Who cares if he post exterior blue prints one they are public knowledge two it doesnt take a rocket scientist to just pull up to the house and walk around gather the same information. Heck google maps alone will give you the same info.