New Dahua 4231 cams on Lorex NR916 don't show on multi-view screens

Reaction score
I have a Lorex NR 916 NVR, today I added the two new cameras I ordered from Andy.

1st is a IPC-HDBW4231FP-AS mini dome wedge
and
2nd is a IPC-HDW4231EMP-ASE eye ball turret

Both are on IP connection (as are all of my cameras), not the NVR internal poe switch. I can see the video feeds individually if I select them, however they show up black on most multi-view screens such as 1-8, 1-9, 1-16 views. However, they do show up in all of the mobile apps I have tried. It is just on the NVR.
(edit, they came up on the 1-4 view now, not the others though.)

I cannot figure out what setting would cause this on the cameras, or the NVR.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Additional info:

I tried connecting one of the cams directly to the NVR, I get the same result. Will show individually and in the 1-4 view, no image on the 1-8, 1-9, or 1-16 views.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Additional info:

I tried connecting one of the cams directly to the NVR, I get the same result. Will show individually and in the 1-4 view, no image on the 1-8, 1-9, or 1-16 views.
Hi @Brunosplace

iirc, you need to check that the NVR is configured for the various streams. ( I recall reading this issue before, so do check threads on it - I would search for "lorex" "dahua" "blank screen" or "add dahua to lorex nvr" or something along those lines... )

Reaction score
I have gone through the settings in the NVR and the cameras for the new and compared to the existing, matched them up where there was a difference. Checked all of the network setting, adjusted ports where needed, checked the camera and video settings, all matches up. Still cant't see the Dahuas in the multi-view screens.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have gone through the settings in the NVR and the cameras for the new and compared to the existing, matched them up where there was a difference. Checked all of the network setting, adjusted ports where needed, checked the camera and video settings, all matches up. Still cant't see the Dahuas in the multi-view screens.
The matrix view uses the substream, check the substream settings.

Reaction score
The sub-stream info is matched also.

I just found it.

All of the existing cameras were running under the "private" protocol, and by default the Dahuas connected the same way (it is the default on the Lorex NVR when adding cameras from the remote device page). Once I changed the protocol to Onvif, they came up on screen.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The sub-stream info is matched also.

I just found it.

All of the existing cameras were running under the "private" protocol, and by default the Dahuas connected the same way (it is the default on the Lorex NVR when adding cameras from the remote device page). Once I changed the protocol to Onvif, they came up on screen.
HI @Brunosplace

You should be able to get those cameras to work with the NVR using the Dahua APIs instead of ONVIF.

In theory that should give you the maximum functionality possible with that combination of NVR and Dahua OEM cameras.

Often ONVIF settings may leave a few options out - it depends on the ONVIF version supported by the camera and NVR.

So, do take a closer look at using the normal settings and see about configuring the sub-stream appropriately for the NVR's multi-camera display.

update: Please see the following thread.. remember search is your friend
Replace my Lorex 4K (lnb8005) with a starlight (IPC-HDW5231R-ZE)

in particular please see the following post:
Replace my Lorex 4K (lnb8005) with a starlight (IPC-HDW5231R-ZE)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you @mat200 ! I tried15 or so searches with Dahua and Lorex along with various other terms and did not come up with that one. It was exactly what was wrong. I didn't realize there was a sub-stream2, so I never found that it wasn't enabled.

I have them set back to the Private protocol on the NVR and all are working as they should

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you @mat200 ! I tried15 or so searches with Dahua and Lorex along with various other terms and did not come up with that one. It was exactly what was wrong. I didn't realize there was a sub-stream2, so I never found that it wasn't enabled.

I have them set back to the Private protocol on the NVR and all are working as they should
Happy to help out @Brunosplace and great to hear you have it working!

Please do Feel free to share more details on what you did... perhaps a new thread with references to the above?
( this is basically how the cliff notes and everything else came about here - individual members adding better notes ;-)

Thanks!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
hey, hate to raise an old thread.. I am having a similar issue except I am using Wyze V2 Cams running through RTSP protocol to my Lorex NVR. The stream comes up in single view, or even 4-way view, once you go to matrix grid view the box for the camera shows "The login return time is up."

I can't figure out why the Lorex NVR display has no problem showing the stream in 4-way view but anything greater then that, such as Multiview 1-9 display an error.
Please only post your issue in one thread and do not create multiple posts of the same thing....plus this thread is totally unrelated as the Dahua cams will work with Lorex because Dahua makes the Lorex NVR.