New Dahua(Actually Hikvision) Darkfighters

aaadad

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been lurking here a while and planning for a new system, mapping where I will need starlights in the dark areas and high resolution cams in well lit areas. I have been watching Andy's site for pricing on various cams and yesterday a new section pops up for Dark Fighters. I was under the impression only Hikvision used the dark fighter sensors. There are two new dark fighter cams and one new starlight available with pricing. Have these cams been discussed here before? I cannot find any discussions on any of the models. Here's the 8MP.
2019 New Arrival 8 MP(4K) IR Fixed Bullet IPCT-HFW5831RE-I IP Camera Powered by Dark fighter ,free DHL shipping

Mike

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm anything but an expert, but I see a few problems comparing the 5831RE-I to, say, a 5231R-ZE. The 5831 has a 1/2" sensor and 8MP while the 5231 has a 1/2.8" (.8" larger diameter) sensor and 2MP. The amount of light to each segment, pixel, in the 5831 will be significantly less in the 5831 than in the 5231. Unless they're doing some electronic "magic" to improve that, which would probably add noise or other distortion, I'd stick with the 5231 series, a known good performer in low to no light conditions.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
That model doesnt show on the Dahua Intl site and frankly it looks to me like an HiK camera of some type... notice no mention of Dahua in the listing...

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
That model doesnt show on the Dahua Intl site and frankly it looks to me like an HiK camera of some type... notice no mention of Dahua in the listing...
I don't ever remember seeing dahua using a plastic twist-lock to tighten down the cam into position.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Hiki offers it in various lens sizes while the original link states 2.8mm only. Is Hikivision doing some "magic" to make a 1/2" sensor perform like a larger one?

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, senior moment with simple math. 1/2.8 is about .35 while 1/2 is .5. Why they can't just use a decimal number rather than a fractional beats me other than trying to make things look better than they are.

Still, given that the increase in area isn't quite double while the pixel count is quadrupled I don't think it would perform as well as a 1/2.8 2MP.

1/2 - ~.78 sq in
1/2.8 - ~.41 sq in

Last edited:

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
It's a really strange size designation system left over from the original video sensors, which were "vidicon" tubes used in the old TV cameras from the dawn of television.

The glass envelopes for vacuum tubes were easiest to make as cylinders. So while the image shape for TV was the 3 by 4 rectangle of our old CRT TV sets, the tubes themselves were cylindrical. The sensitive area at the face of the vidcon tube had to be quite a bit smaller than the OD of the vacuum tube envelope. But they still used the diameter of the tube envelope as the "size". They were probably more concerned with how the tube itself would be mounted.

We still see the same thing with photomultiplier tubes. They give you the OD of the tube so you can design the mounting enclosure and sometimes the detector crystal that mates to the tube (for gamma ray detectors). But the photocathode might not be anywhere near that size or shape depending on the design.

It would be a lot nicer if everyone would just give the height and width of the active area of the sensor IC in millimeters. Even knowing the diagonal measurement is ambiguous because that number doesn't tell you the aspect ratio.

I'm not sure why video camera specifications stay with this ancient and crummy way of specifying sensor sizes these days. It really is silly.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd assume, and we know what that can do, that they're using the modern "standard" of 16:9. Still , without knowing the clearances, from the sensor edges, it is hard to determine the actual usable surface area but it could be "ball parked". From there and approximate pixel size could be calculated...but is it worth all the math????

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
There will be a formal introduction real soon, but this is actually one of IP Cam Talk's cameras. It will be available on Amazon shortly, but for now it's available on AliExpress.

Short version: IP Cam Talk is now offering IPCT branded cameras! There are a total of 3 "Darkfighter" models coming to the new IPCT line as well as 7 other Hik re-brands that are now currently available in the IPCT Store and also the IPCT Amazon Store. The "darkfighters" / low-light will be available on Amazon in a few weeks, as well as 8-channel and 16-channel NVR's

Good find btw @aaadad

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

xyvyx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, interesting design change on the new 5231 as well...
US $136.84 |Aliexpress.com : Buy IP Camera 2 MP Starlight IR Fixed Turret Network Camera IPCT HDW5231RE I Powered by Dark fighter,free DHL shipping from Reliable Surveillance Cameras suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd

Looks like a hybrid of the Hikvision + the prior gen black-face 5231 yet it appears to be a non-variofocal like the 2231.

Same as the above discussion I believe. Thats not a Dahua camera, its rebranded HiK