New Doorbell advice

droomurray

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

Currently moving my setup from Ring cameras over to Hikvison using my QNAP NAS to record in QVR.
All setup and working great but I want to find a decent replacement doorbell, with the following spec.

• 24/7 recording to QNAP storage using QVR
  • 2K resolution
  • Mains powered but not PoE
  • Alexa integration for use as a Chime

Been going round in circles trying to work out what to get between Armcrest but no UK stock, EZVIZ, Lorax etc

HELP !

Drop

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Check out this thread about the new Reolink doorbell...

droomurray

n3wb
Reaction score
Check out this thread about the new Reolink doorbell...
Shame no one has stock ?

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
They had them on sale a week or so ago on their website, but looks like they ran out. See them on US Amazon, but not on UK Amazon site. Imagine that they'll have them in future, mean while, best to read the thread to see if that would work for you. Looking at specs, it states Google Assistant.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Reolink.

think it hits just about every button, and the price is right.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Reolink.

think it hits just about every button, and the price is right.
not a lot have cat5 to the doorbell without a lot of work. With that. Is the 5ghz version of the reolink technically the same ?

have a ezviz but it is 2.4 and 3mp. Was thinking the reolink with 5ghz and 5mp would be a good upgrade.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
not a lot have cat5 to the doorbell without a lot of work. With that. Is the 5ghz version of the reolink technically the same ?

have a ezviz but it is 2.4 and 3mp. Was thinking the reolink with 5ghz and 5mp would be a good upgrade.
I have both the ReoLink POE and WiFi version running. Presently have the WiFi version installed. Compared to the EZVIZ (Which I had the LaView), the ReoLink is a good upgrade/replacement. The WiFi seems to be solid, better than the Hikvision DB, IMO. I have had Zero No Signals in the last eight days streaming to Blue Iris (Actually I have No Signal losses at all now that I use RTMP streaming):

1678131208956.png

1678131442313.png

1678131371199.png

Only Issue I have is I which it had adjustable Bitrate not Max and iFrame adjustment, oh and WDR or BLC, I get a washout when the sun is bright,
so I don't get a good image until someone is on my porch...but as you can see below it still does a good job.
1678131654314.png

1678131724920.png

HTH

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is the ReoLink Thread:

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have both the ReoLink POE and WiFi version running. Presently have the WiFi version installed. Compared to the EZVIZ (Which I had the LaView), the ReoLink is a good upgrade/replacement. The WiFi seems to be solid, better than the Hikvision DB, IMO. I have had Zero No Signals in the last eight days streaming to Blue Iris (Actually I have No Signal losses at all now that I use RTMP streaming):

View attachment 155994

View attachment 155996

View attachment 155995

Only Issue I have is I which it had adjustable Bitrate not Max and iFrame adjustment, oh and WDR or BLC, I get a washout when the sun is bright,
so I don't get a good image until someone is on my porch...but as you can see below it still does a good job.
View attachment 155997

View attachment 155998

HTH
Heck yeah. This looks pretty good. Let me grab a shot from my ezviz.

how is the reolink software?

I’m intrigued.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
POE > WiFi.

anyday of the week.

@David L wondering if you have contacted them and asked about bitrate, WDR, BLC, etc?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Heck yeah. This looks pretty good. Let me grab a shot from my ezviz.

how is the reolink software?

I’m intrigued.
I have not tried their App. That is the big plus for me, unlike the DB1, you do not have to register this DB with their cloud upon Setup.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have not tried their App. That is the big plus for me, unlike the DB1, you do not have to register this DB with their cloud upon Setup.
Does this alps mean there is no phone alert when someone rings the bell? I suspect some of those alerts are because the app integration

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree, but getting cat 6/5 to where it is needed sometimes is not feasible
most doorbells in the US are ran with cat 5 cable, but only use 2 wires are used for the doorbell.

is there a way you can track down the wire and maybe intercept half way and add an injector in somewhere?

Elton Noway

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
most doorbells in the US are ran with cat 5 cable, but only use 2 wires are used for the doorbell.

is there a way you can track down the wire and maybe intercept half way and add an injector in somewhere?
I believe you might be referring to how Cat5 doorbells are currently being integrated with older 2 wire systems but wanted to clarify your statement... "most doorbells" in the US are ran with 2 wires".. The 2 wire doorbell started being installed back in the early 1930's... (that's a lot of doorbells in the last 90+ years). Cat5 wiring in homes didn't enter the picture until 1995 or so... and even then it was primarily only installed in various rooms for internet access with very few contractors actually running cat5 to an entryway for use with a doorbell.

As far as tracking down the doorbell wiring... the easiest method would be to locate the doorbell transformer as that would be the end where the two wire system originates (with the other end of the wires being at the doorbell itself). The transformer can typically be found in a crawlspace under the house, in the garage, near the electrical panel, near the doorbell chime itself or near the HVAC system wiring because the in house thermostat sometimes shares the transformer with the doorbell. Finding the transformer would be easier than trying to intercept the wiring in the wall somewhere. It shouldn't be to hard to locate. it should look similar to the attached doorbell image.

Attachments

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does this alps mean there is no phone alert when someone rings the bell? I suspect some of those alerts are because the app integration
With the App you will get notifications or if you have home automation you can push the notifications to your phone.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I believe you might be referring to how Cat5 doorbells are currently being integrated with older 2 wire systems but wanted to clarify your statement... "most doorbells" in the US are ran with 2 wires".. The 2 wire doorbell started being installed back in the early 1930's... (that's a lot of doorbells in the last 90+ years). Cat5 wiring in homes entered the picture until 1995 or so... and even then it was primarily install in various rooms for internet access with very few contractors actually running cat5 to the doorbell location.

As far as tracking down the doorbell wiring... the easiest method would be to locate the doorbell transformer as that would be the end where the two wire system originates (with the other end of the wires being at the doorbell itself). The transformer can typically be found in a crawlspace under the house, in the garage, near the electrical panel, near the doorbell chime itself or near the HVAC system wiring because the in house thermostat sometimes shares the transformer with the doorbell. Finding the transformer would be easier than trying to intercept the wiring in the wall somewhere. It shouldn't be to hard to locate. it should look similar to the attached doorbell image.
Yep. I have this system with the transformer and 2 wires.