New DS-2CD2135F-IS camera, very poor live view

mfred68

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi guys, ive just installed this new camera which is 3MP onto the PoE ports of my DS-7608 NVR
The recorded images are superb, sharp and clear, but the live view looks very compressed and an extreme lack of detail. I don't have this issue with live view of my cheap Onvif cameras, they are clear 1080p in live view, but the new Hikvision camera looks worse than old analog SD did.

Ive looked at the settings on the camera in IE browser and it states the main stream as being 2048x1536
which is higher than the cheap Onvif cameras that are only 1920x1080, so why does the Hikvision display so badly in live view? I use live view more than recorded video, so I need it to be clear.

Any ideas?

mfred68

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have since discovered that the poor compressed picture is only present when viewd as a split screen, if the same camera is viewd at full screen, the image is superb, but I need the image as split screen, with it being the larger image with 4 smaller immages.
The other cheap cameras don't have this problem at all and are sharp in all screen modes.

If it is sub stream, is this fixed with Hikvision cameras, or can it be switched to main stream? its useless as sub stream when monitoring split screen cameras, too blury even as a small pic. Ive looked through all the menus but can't find the option if it even exists.

mfred68

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Adjust the subsream
Do you mean on the camera or the NVR? I did adjust the substream on the camera to its highest which is still under standard definition quality, and the picture is still very poor.
I can't find anywhere to adjust the substream on the NVR though.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I did adjust the substream on the camera to its highest which is still under standard definition quality,
What resolution did you adjust it to, and what compression/codec did you select?
*edit*
Via the NVR, pass-through to the camera, Configuration | Video/Audio | Video tab | Select camera dropdown | Stream Type | Resolution

mfred68

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can't seem to find a "pass through to camera" option in the menu
can you please advise what first menu option its located in? my NVR is a Hikvision DS-7608

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I think I confused you here, apologies.
What I meant was that the NVR web GUI passes through to the camera the configuration options that are conveniently able to be set there.
So when you change a video setting for a camera in the NVR it's simply passing that setting through to the camera. And also actually storing it in the NVR so it can refresh the camera as required at a later time.

mfred68

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
hmm, still not sure if my NVR allowes this, when i go to a web browser and input the NVR ip address which is 192.168.1.5 I get greeted with the NVR log in screen and after logging in, all the settings that the NVR has to offer, but none of which allows me to gain direct access to the camera itself for configuring. The cameras are all on POE ports and the camera in question ip adresses is 192.168.254.59
In order for me to have gained access to the camera I needed to go plug it into my LAN and use the SADP tool to change the 254 part of the ip address to 1 to be able to adjust the camera itself, and when I did so, I set the main, sub and 3rd stream to their highest resolutions and increased the bitrates too but after putting the ip address back to 254 and plugging the camera back into the POE port the picture on the nvr is still very compressed in split screen view, but in full screen and recorded playback its superb. So i cant understand why the picture is so degraded in multi camera split screen view, where as my cheap Onvif cameras are perfect in all views.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
all the settings that the NVR has to offer, but none of which allows me to gain direct access to the camera itself for configuring.
So when I quoted :
Configuration | Video/Audio | Video tab | Select camera dropdown | Stream Type | Resolution
you are saying that your NVR does not have that in the web GUI?
Like this - where you can select and configure the main stream and sub stream -
These are settings that are passed through to the cameras.
NVR_14.jpg