New DS-2CD2142FWD-IWS owner questions and Event vs Motion.

raybies

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi.

I own a DS-2CD2142FWD-IWS, and in "Storage > Schedule Settings > Record Schedule" I don't understand the difference between Motion and Event. Isn't Motion an Event?
I have the S version, can I hook up a PIR sensor?
Is having a local microSD card better or using a NAS drive? It seems like any time I make a change, I have to re-format the drive, and it writes some 2GB of data with 100's of folders and 1000's of files.

Also while I'm here, the camera has an array of IR LEDs, and small something just on top of the lens... do any of you know what it is?
You can see it here with a blueish circle...
Hikvision-DS-2CD2142FWD-I-92953.jpg

Btw, it was a real PITA to get Net HDD + FTP working. Tried for hours, then reset to default, did the same as before and it started working.
Is there anyway to get FTP for images and video? With my previous FOSCAM, when it detected motion it would email photos, store them on FTP and also record video during the motion event.

Firmware Version V5.3.8 build 151224
Encoding Version V7.0 build 151027
Web Version V4.0.1 build 150915

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Also while I'm here, the camera has an array of IR LEDs, and small something just on top of the lens... do any of you know what it is?
That's the ambient light level photo sensor, used to determine when B&W mode should be enabled, and the IR LEDs should be switched on.