New guy from bama, need some recommendations

ajmikola

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have been killing myself looking at security systems. I have a 720 night owl junk system i bought a few years ago, and now I want to upgrade.
I have been to every site possible, looking at whole systems vs piecing together a system. At first I was leaning to Lorex, then i went to A1security and got overwhelmed. There are so many options, I don't know what to do anymore. I have probably spent 10 hours looking at cameras and websites.
I am willing to invest 800$
My initial thought was to get a whole system, then I thought about starting with a nice NVR and putting two cameras on it for now, then increasing as i go along.

My main concern/need is this: I have multiple children and there are always kids running around along with speeding traffic. I want to be able to have a clear line of site both ways down the road and being able to catch license plates if possible. I have looked at some nice 180degree cams but my gosh, the price. I would like to surround my house eventually, but right now the front is most important. I have looked at every company conceivable.

As for my skill level...i ran the original system myself and did ok, didn't seem hard, but I know nothing about networking, IP stuff or anything complex with regards to computers, i know enough to get around your day to day stuff. My background is healthcare, nurse practitioner to be exact, so my attention always went to the biological sciences vs computer tech and engineering. At any rate..... there you go.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
It can be overwhelming at first, especially for those not the most technology friendly.

I'd shy away from the box systems at Costco/Wallyworld. At the end of the day you still have to learn the same things installing a sub-par system as you would a good custom one. They both have a DVR/NVR and cameras and you have to get cable of some type to each camera.

Lets assume that you dont have the technical skillset or desire to run, and dedicate a PC to, a software based VMS such as Blue Iris which is highly thought of here. That leaves you two alternatives using either an NVR (IP based sysem) or DVR/XVR (analog based system) hardware solution. Start with a good NVR or DVR/XVR and build your system using Dahua or HiK equipment. Best to match the manufacturer of the cameras to the same of the NVR/DVR

On IP based systems, the most common here, while you'll still need to understand some IP networking terminology and basics, its not that big a hill to climb. And you'll have plenty of help here at IPCT. With an IP based system, each camera will have its own IP address and the power for each camera comes over the same Ethernet cable as the video signal (POE). IP systems and cameras do have some advantages over HD analog relating to scheduling and some other features.

With an HD analog system DVR or XVR, you'll have access to cameras with basically the same picture quality, selection, and feature set (with a few exceptions) but with no need to learn much about IP networking. The cameras have no IP address and are accessed directly through the DVR. These type of systems are a bit simpler to install and arguably a bit easier to maintain. I use them at my home and my mom's. Dahua's version of HD analog technology is called HDCVI and HIK's is called TVI. HD Analog cameras are a bit less expensive than their IP counterparts.
See examples on my youtube channel
Dahua HDCVI camera selecton

I use both systems, Dahua IP and Dahua HDCVI and both have their place.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
One other "quick tip". Don't get caught in the megapixel, resolution, trap. While 4K may sound really good, the performance in low light conditions isn't as good, especially with less expensive 4K cameras, when compared to a 1080P, 2MP, camera. The Dauhua "Starvis" series and the Hikvision "Dark Fighter" series are both excellent performers in low/no light conditions when compared to "run of the mill" 4K cameras. Again, review the Cliff Notes in the Wiki on a real computer.

Without knowing the exact models of the cameras in those two systems it's impossible to say, definitively, why the price difference. Speculating, the more expensive system MAY have cameras with better sensors.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Those are both box Dahua HDCVI systems, one includes a 3TB hard drive.

Based on your posts I'm going to recommend you stay with HDCVI, but dont buy a box system. And as @awsum140 mentions, dont play the megapixel game.

Start with this XVR and a good WD Purple hard Drive of 4TB
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/20627

And these cameras - the Pro Starlight series. Generally 2MP Starlight will do better at night.
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/allProducts/4562/6182

As far as LPR, thats a world unto itself. Though the HDCVI 3231E-Z12 should work fine out to 120ft or more
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/18361

The XVR allows you to run IP cameras as well as HDCVI cameras. Start with the HDCVI system and run Cat5 to all cameras. The CVI cams can work with baluns at each end on Cat5 and you'll have the ethernet cable in place if you should decide to run IP cams.

See forum member and Dahua supplier @EMPIRETECANDY for pricing and availability

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Actually you may be able to use your existing cabling, is it coax?

ajmikola

n3wb
Reaction score

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
LPR is license plate recognition/reading. A decent camera is basic requirement and it has to be configured, fine tuned, to work properly in daylight and at night. It's not as easy as the movies make it seem.

ajmikola

n3wb
Reaction score
LPR is license plate recognition/reading. A decent camera is basic requirement and it has to be configured, fine tuned, to work properly in daylight and at night. It's not as easy as the movies make it seem.
I can't find that XVR anywhere.....whats up with that?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You wont find much Dahua equipent in the normal retail stores. One US supplier is B&H, though they dont carry many of the better models.

There are US and International models to many Dahua cameras and DVR/NVR's.

Contact @EMPIRETECANDY here in the forum. He is a trusted supplier (where most all of the gear you look at is made) for the International models

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You'll find many models on amazon. The 5xxx series is one step down from the 7xxx series but still good. The second number calls out the number of hard drives it takes. 52xx= two hard drives.
Amazon.com: Dahua XVR

Still better off contacting @EMPIRETECANDY via the message function of this forum.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fps66

n3wb
Reaction score
If you were closer to Roanoke, I'd give you a hand. I ordered from @EMPIRETECANDY a few weeks ago my cameras and NVR. Shipping was quick and the system look great on my testing so far. I agree with the recommendations above. The 2mp starlight cams can see color when I can't hardly see anything with my eyes.