New guy here, looking to learn all that I can

Nealwxhd

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,

As stated I am new to this forum and have read several threads and reviews so far and finally decided to join in. I am looking to start buying items for a security system for my home. It is a 1/2 acre lot on a cul-de-sac with access via two points and the house in the center. At this point, I am looking to buy a dedicated computer for Blue Iris for recording purposes. I also like the results that people here have shown for the IPC-HFW5231E-Z5. I would greatly appreciate any pointers anyone could give me to get started.

Like I said I am new to this and still learning. I know what hardware I need as far as a computer for BI thanks to threads here. ( 6th gen intel i5 or i7 processor, 8GB memory, WD purple HDD drive, and Windows 8 or greater). I assume I will need a POE power source as well just don't know much about them yet. I would also like at least 2 PTZ cameras to scan the property while at least 2 zoomable cameras such as the h5231E-Z5 (or Z12 when available) cover the access points and can identify Licence plates and facial recognition for coming and going traffic.

I look forward to interacting with everyone and learning as much as possible for my system. Take care all.

ThomasPI

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Welcome from another newbie. I've basically concluded I'm going the same route you are and with the same camera choices. There's a great resource guide at the top of this forum and I started to read it this morning, a lot to take in and learn. This is an outstanding resource and glad I found it. We will be installing in new construction.

techsaurus

n3wb
Reaction score
I am also a newb. Doing some research to buy a camera system for home, my business, and a friends business. Maybe I should have just stuck to the home system lol

Nealwxhd

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you very much. I've seen you post that around and have played around with it. I actually just got on here to research whether I should go with a couple Ptz on the corners of my house for perimeter sweep or just put multiple fixed cams so I don't miss anything. I say this now because It seems so far that the price of a good Ptz I coud get multiple good fixed cams and not miss events.

Nealwxhd

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome from another newbie. I've basically concluded I'm going the same route you are and with the same camera choices. There's a great resource guide at the top of this forum and I started to read it this morning, a lot to take in and learn. This is an outstanding resource and glad I found it. We will be installing in new construction.
Have you found anything substantial that points to a Ptz over sever fixed cams? I'm trying to decide now. I'm very undecisive most of the time and get confused what would be better in my situation alot

ThomasPI

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
From my readings no. @nayr has posted up a lot of great info. The new Starlight 5231 series is the direction I'm heading in, they seem to be the best bang for the buck. When the day is done, I think I'm better off with multiple fixed point cameras instead of the PTZ. Unless of course I set up multiple cameras and motion sensors etc. That equates to a big investment of time and coin and that's fine for those who want to invest time and funds. Otherwise, it would seem to be a toy that I'd play with for a short while and that would be that.

Last edited: