New Guy looking a system recommendation (IP camera, POE)

buckfast

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi All

New to the field and in the early stages of research. My house is currently being renovated and will install 3 or 4 external cameras.

Looking for:

- High Quality day and night vision
- Will run CAT 6 throughout my new house (is any type of CAT6 ok?)
- POE power
- Hope to have some sort of ip forwarding so I can view from my mobile phone via internet
- Relatively easy to install and setup software
- Reliability

Can anybody provide me with a shopping list? Looking to spend up to $800.
Equipment that I currently have is a Mac Mini and an Android mobile phone.

Any suggestions on what I need and which brands to get?

Thanks

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome.
Go here: Dahua and start in. Most believe Dahua is the champ.
Lots of good info in that thread.
If you go with an NVR, keep the brand name the same as the cameras for easier setup.

buckfast

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Tks. Dahua and solid core copper CAT6, name brand to start

tygger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've had good experience with monoprice's bulk cat6 cable, but their 1 piece rj45 connectors suck.

buckfast

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks again. I'm continuing my research and found somebody say that Hisun might be good, but for new entrants , there might a lot of time spent in AE? What does AE mean? I'm happy to get my hands dirty and learn as I go along, but at the same time, with a young family, I don't have hors upon hours to invest setting up a system. Would Dahua be a nice compromise or are all the makers of IP cameras pretty much equal in this respect?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks again. I'm continuing my research and found somebody say that Hisun might be good, but for new entrants , there might a lot of time spent in AE? What does AE mean? I'm happy to get my hands dirty and learn as I go along, but at the same time, with a young family, I don't have hors upon hours to invest setting up a system. Would Dahua be a nice compromise or are all the makers of IP cameras pretty much equal in this respect?
Stay FAR away for Husuin, they are garbage and been proven to fail at a high rate. Aliexpress. Go with the dahua starlight mentioned above. Dahua is a reliable brand, all manufacturers are not equal.