New guy with Hikvision system on order

slodat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As the title says, new to security camera stuff. I have a computer science degree and am fluent in network stuff and what not. Currently work as a high voltage relay and controls foreman. The system is being installed in my custom auto upholstery shop. After writing that I am aware it sounds like I can’t pick a career.

Anyway, I pulled the trigger on a sizeable order on Amazon yesterday. I have the following coming:

(4) Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-IS cameras
(1) Hikvision 4MP DS-2CD2142FWD-I HD WDR IP Network Dome 2.8mm Lens
(1) HIKVISION 4MP IR Fixed Dome Network Camera - DS-2CD2142FWD-I 4mm
(1) HIKVISION HD Smart 4 Megapixel PoE Dome IP Outdoor Surveillance Camera, 2.8mm-12mm Zoom Lens, White (US Version)
Associated Mounts with junction box for each camera
(2) WD Purple 4TB Surveillance Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD40PURZ
(1) Hikvision NVR DS-7616NI-I2/16P 4K 16Channel Network Video Recorder Embedded Plug & Play Up to 12 Megapixels resolution recording English Version

The building is 30’ x 70’ with another 30’ x 40’ forming an L. Outside walls at between 12 and 16’ tall. I bought the mix of cameras because I thought I should experiment with location, lens focal length and so on to get the desired result.

Sadly I ordered before I found this forum. I’m interested in advice, etc on my equipment. My rational was this is better than the Costco offerings. I bought it all on Amazon, so I can return if I need to.

This is the camera mount style I ordered:

All of the wiring will be in EMT (conduit).

Thank you in advance!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
avoid domes outdoors - use turrets...if low light performance is important look at dahua starlight or hikvision low light cams...consider a pc based vms.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As the title says, new to security camera stuff. I have a computer science degree and am fluent in network stuff and what not. Currently work as a high voltage relay and controls foreman. The system is being installed in my custom auto upholstery shop. After writing that I am aware it sounds like I can’t pick a career.

All of the wiring will be in EMT (conduit).

Thank you in advance!!
Welcome! Looks like you're ready for some fun now!

slodat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Crap. I had bought the domes for outdoor use.. what’s the issue with them?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Crap. I had bought the domes for outdoor use.. what’s the issue with them?
ir reflection and if you need low light performance you will want a starlight or low light camera.

slodat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was able to cancel the order on four of the domes. The other three will be inside. Thank you for the info on this!!

I have the Hikvision NVR arriving tomorrow. Starting to think I bought the wrong stuff..

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
You bought the right stuff, just not domes. HikVision makes a solid product. Also, consider buying from a HikVision dealer. We are a HikVision Dealer only for ourselves, not to re-sell to other companies or retail. The reason we became a dealer is so that we can get a 5 year manufacturer's warranty on their equipment. If you buy from a HikVision authorized dealer, they should pass this on to you. Not to say that the seller on Amazon was not an authorized HikVision dealer.

slodat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you all for the info! I’m having a hard time figuring out which model Hikvision camera for outside use. Would prefer zoom. Don’t care as much about pan and tilt. Is there anyone in the US selling to end users? I saw a reference to rebranded Hikvision OEM cameras, but I don’t know who to buy from..

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Where are you located? There are distributors all over, I'm just not sure if the public can walk in and make a purchase or not. There is also LTS, which is re-branded HikVision, but some of their smart detection features don't work when using HikVision i-VMS4200.

slodat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I **think** I’m on the right track for outdoor cameras. Can someone weigh in and let me know before I order? This is what’s in my cart on AliExpress..

Again, I appreciate the help!!

Last edited:

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
I haven’t found anyone with these cameras. I’ve read good stuff about this seller..
Just make sure that you are getting HikVision cams with U.S. firmware. They are hard enough to set up and configure with the correct firmware, never mind the chinese or mexican firmwares. We have found that the un-branded HikVision camera such as LTS, still don't allow you to use all of the analytics features in HikVision cameras like the branded HikVision ones do.

slodat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is this the “WR” in the serial number thing?