New Guy

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello Everyone

I have been reading here for quite some time and followed the advice of many of the members. I have a small 5 camera system running Blue Iris. My system has been up and running for about 6 months but I haven’t ventured far from the basic install and setup. Thanks to all the information posted here it wasn’t as difficult as I though it would be to setup but I have recently purchased the Blue Iris mobile app for my iPhone and that is proving to be quite a challenge. So that’s my challenge; getting the mobile app to work. Thanks for all the help that got me this far.

My system is an i7-7600 running windows 10. Most of my cameras are low end Hikvision for now. Asus router and a couple of managed switches. I do use this machine for other purposes plex server, house automation devices, etc. Very little internet use.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello, welcome to the forum. Have you posted any questions in the Mobile Apps or Blue Iris sections? I use android and didn't have much trouble setting it up.

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks gwminor48 I haven’t posted anything yet still working at it myself but I think it’s time to give up. BI looks to be a port forwarding setup which is not a good idea according to members here. A few more tries and I’ll post in the BI section. Thanks for the replying and welcome.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks gwminor48 I haven’t posted anything yet still working at it myself but I think it’s time to give up. BI looks to be a port forwarding setup which is not a good idea according to members here. A few more tries and I’ll post in the BI section. Thanks for the replying and welcome.
Get it working on your own home network first. Then work on getting VPN setup.
All you should need to do on your own network, is enter the correct IP address for your BI server and the correct port in the app.
Create a user with in BI with mobile access rights.
You have an Asus router, so it likely has OpenVPN builtin.
VPN Primer for Noobs
Randy : OpenVPN on a Asus router

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion I’m going to post in the BI section about my issues. Thanks for the suggestions.