New Hikvision Setup

Sybaris

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Never set up an CCTV system so am a little confused by the instructions/capabilities. Hope someone can help

My gear:

DS7604 NVR
DS-2cd2312-I-4mm EXIR camera

The camera is PoE. I "thought" that meant it would receive power over ethernet (similar to USB) but the cable coming out of the camera is split with an ethernet connector and and a power connector. Did I misunderstand? If so, should the camera have come with a power supply?

The instructions only talk about hooking the camera up to a PC. I think I read somewhere that the NVR would automatically recognize the camera. Is it that simple?

thanks

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The ethernet connector is the POE connector, your cameras come with an extra 12 volt power cord giving you the option of using a different power solution if so desired.
POE (power over ethernet) uses the "extra" set(s) of twisted pair wires to run power as well as the standard set for data.

Sybaris

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The ethernet connector is the POE connector, your cameras come with an extra 12 volt power cord giving you the option of using a different power solution if so desired.
POE (power over ethernet) uses the "extra" set(s) of twisted pair wires to run power as well as the standard set for data.
Whew! Thanks!

Sybaris

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Plug directly into the nvr.
Worked like a champ.................... for about 10 minutes.

Now I have no video and a message that says "No Link".

I've looked through the manuals and not found anything referencing "No Link"

Any suggestions much appreciated

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you sure your cable is good? Good quality solid copper not copper clad aluminium. Reboot the cameras and NVR. Finally try updating the firmware on both NVR and cameras. Updating the firmware has solved the no link issue for some in the past.

Sybaris

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are you sure your cable is good? Good quality solid copper not copper clad aluminium. Reboot the cameras and NVR. Finally try updating the firmware on both NVR and cameras. Updating the firmware has solved the no link issue for some in the past.
I reset the factory defaults and got the video back.

thanks