New home build questions

felzy5

n3wb
Reaction score
Good morning to all members.

I am a first time poster and long time reader and sincerely appreciate the information and education that is provided for DIYers like myself.

I am currently doing a new home build (3000 sq foot single family). I have extensively read the Cliff Notes. We are framing now and the contractor’s electrician has agreed to assist in running CAT cables and associated conduit.

After much research, I have think I agave settled on Starlight varifocal turrets for many locations on the exterior but still unsure.

We don’t expect a move in until next July so we have plenty of time.

My idea was to buy a single starlight camera from @EMPIRETECANDY and confirm with field testing if that camera will work for many locations I am thinking of placement and then order everything in the spring. Have estimated 6 cameras for outdoor coverage and 2 inside (one garage and one covering bilco door entrance in basement)

With that said, would I need my NVR installed and ready to rock and roll when I want to test mount camera locations?

Looking for any advice on this.

Also, as an amateur and someone who travels a lot for work, I would like simple viewing and playback access in an phone app. I installed Sharx IP cameras at a prior residence and did not enjoy saving a favorite link for each camera at the house in my web browser for mobile viewing one cam at a time. Everything I have read appears to be so so with the Dahua viewing apps which is confirmed in the iTunes reviews.

Still trying to figure out the best option for mobile viewing of Dahua products.

Thank in advance for any advice.

Attachments

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. You won't need a NVR installed to test, but you will need to power it somehow and connect it to your laptop via a network cable. You can either use a 12VDC power supply or a POE injector or switch.

As far as accessing the cameras, get a router that you has OpenVPN (server) either built in or could be installed on (I use a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X) so you won't have port forwarding. Once the server is up and running, install the OpenVPN app on your device and you will have full access to your network. The Dahua App works good for viewing, but it does have issues with looking at IVS/MD events only. Maybe they will get it to work someday (it did at one time).

When it comes time to roughing in cameras, always run N+1 of the number of cables that you think you need, or you can use ENT so you can pull additional cables (or replace) at a later date. Install a 2-2" conduit from the basement to the attic for future access (one for power, one for low voltage).

Another piece of advice not related to security, put extra blocking next to the window rough-ins where the curtain/blinds will be anchored in (same for shower rods) :)

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
------------------------------------------
You are on the correct path. One camera the starlight variably focus is the correct start. As the camera will not really be installed at this time all you need is a wall wart to power it and a lap top to view it. I would not worry about an NVR or recording device at this time.

The general new home advice.
Multiple cameras of the front door.
Run two Ethernet wires to each location.
Plan on two cameras
Use solid copper wire, no cca (copper clad aluminum)
Wire should be AWG 23 or 24
Pick a good location (closet) with good power plugs where the Ethernet cables will terminate.

Have an alarm system, cameras are for surveillance (what happened and who did it) not security. Have door open sensors, window open sensors, break glass sensors, In side motion detectors. A very loud siren inside and two outside (front and back of house).

When I built my house, I wish I have an Ethernet cable and power plug in the built in cabinets for inside cameras.
I also wish I had put more Ethernet connectors on the inside walls, next to power plugs. All TVs need Ethernet cables. I hate wifi.
------------------------------------------

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (Store | IP Cam Talk) if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
IPC-T2347G-LU Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
N22AL12 New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry

Other dahua 4MP starlight Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
put extra blocking next to the window rough-ins where the curtain/blinds will be anchored in (same for shower rods) :)
Good advice!

And extra blocking behind shower/tub walls, in case handrails are ever installed. Also, near toilets.
Run wire top of front door jamb, for a reed switch, in case you install an alarm.

I also wish I had put more Ethernet connectors on the inside walls, next to power plugs. All TVs need Ethernet cables. I hate wifi.
Great advice!
WiFi can periodically have problems. My TV, Receiver, DVD player and Roku all could be connected via WiFi. But Wired is far superior. Plus, save your home's wifi bandwidth for laptop users!

Good luck,
Fastb

Last edited:

felzy5

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the solid advice. As always, forum members do not disappoint in their knowledge level and willingness to share it. I will do my best to share this build experience with you all.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good morning to all members.

Thank in advance for any advice.
welcome @felzy5

I enjoyed this video on smarthome cabling:
Over cable now.. N+1+ to each location.

Remember to also plan any electrical / cat6 runs on the yard ( example mailbox on the street )

Also, go for metal electrical boxes! not much more, and significantly stronger than the plastic ones.

Take pictures of the buildout to document what is behind the walls.

Have an independent inspector check up on the work. Try to visit the job site often and check the "squares" - seen many contractors fail to make things straight ...