New home pre wire for outside cameras -Help

Cheatdeath

n3wb
Reaction score
We are having a new house built and are having cat 6 runs to planned camera locations. The house is going to be stucco and the cameras will mount to the stucco wall. The pre wired cat 6 is going to be inside flush mounted sealed cover gang boxes as of the current plan. Is there something we could request that will make mounting the cameras easier? I could do single or 2 gang boxes? I want the install to look clean and be sealed from weather ect, there will be a roof overhang protecting all cameras. The door locations will be mounted low 6-7ft and straight out from the door for good ID but the other cameras to monitor the property will be tucked up close to the roof overhang. I am going to be installing the cameras myself. I am wanting to use turret cameras at most locations. If there is more information that would help you recommend something please let me know.

Last edited:

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
There are tons of valuable "installation" tips&tricks in the Wiki, but in short:
- pull N+1 wire (so you have a spare wire for whatever purpose, eg additional (POE) IR lightning)
- use brand-linked seal boxes ("junctionboxes") - eg the Dahua ones have pre-drilled holes for much easier installation of the cams
- especially dahua has waterproof and nice junction boxes. @EMPIRETECANDY should be able to help you out with those too
- pull DECENT cat 6 cables. avoid cheap junk CCA
- if possible TEST your wires after installation with a wire tester. Then you are sure all is OK.

Last but not least: BEFORE you ladder install, test each cam throughoutly on a local testbench, to avoid having to climb 300x more that ladder.

Enjoy your hobby! :p
CC

Cheatdeath

n3wb
Reaction score
The contractor will not install a gang or junction box that is not fully sealed when they are done. What they have offered is single or 2 gang box mounted flush into the stucco walls with gasket sealed covers. Will this allow me to have a possible clean install? If there is something I can bring to them that will work better and maybe talk them into using I need to figure it out soon. I do not want cables exposed outside of the camera mount or to run any lines outside the wall. I just don't know what mounting each camera over the planned gang box will be like.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The contractor will not install a gang or junction box that is not fully sealed when they are done. What they have offered is single or 2 gang box mounted flush into the stucco walls with gasket sealed covers. Will this allow me to have a possible clean install? If there is something I can bring to them that will work better and maybe talk them into using I need to figure it out soon. I do not want cables exposed outside of the camera mount or to run any lines outside the wall. I just don't know what mounting each camera over the planned gang box will be like.
Welcome @Cheatdeath

Remember to check the cliff notes
Over cable
Consider more locations - I like 2 cameras by the garage...

see prior threads on this

I like the 2-gang box idea... more room for cables. I also like metal gang boxes for the house - sturdier than the plastic ones.

Cheatdeath

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome @Cheatdeath

Remember to check the cliff notes
Over cable
Consider more locations - I like 2 cameras by the garage...

see prior threads on this

I like the 2-gang box idea... more room for cables. I also like metal gang boxes for the house - sturdier than the plastic ones.
So if I go with 2 gang box idea, I would probably be mounting the camera directly to the cover. I am worried about how that will work and if screwing the cover back on while the camera mount is attached will be possible. Is this even a normal way to do it? I would love to just run the cables myself but the small crawl space and super low space by the exterior walls just isnt going to be possible for me so im having it pre wired.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
So if I go with 2 gang box idea, I would probably be mounting the camera directly to the cover. I am worried about how that will work and if screwing the cover back on while the camera mount is attached will be possible. Is this even a normal way to do it? I would love to just run the cables myself but the small crawl space and super low space by the exterior walls just isnt going to be possible for me so im having it pre wired.
You are asking good questions, why not piggy back on what the main manufacturers doing in that domain:
--> you fit the "wall"mount part, with the network cables terminating in the box. you attach your camera to the (removable) lid. Once you are on the ladder, you connect the ethernet jacket AND the safety cord (to prevent your camera from tumbling down when working it). Then screw the lid to the box and off you go.

Cheatdeath

n3wb
Reaction score
You are asking good questions, why not piggy back on what the main manufacturers doing in that domain:
--> you fit the "wall"mount part, with the network cables terminating in the box. you attach your camera to the (removable) lid. Once you are on the ladder, you connect the ethernet jacket AND the safety cord (to prevent your camera from tumbling down when working it). Then screw the lid to the box and off you go.
So attach the Dahua style box to the junction box cover plate? Or are you suggesting I try and have them install those into the wall.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @Cheatdeath

So the issue with junction boxes by Hikvision and Dahua is that there are many variations and there does not seem to be a universal box. So I would not encase one of those in the stucco wall.

Instead I would go for one of the standard electrial gang boxes to be embedded in the wall.

This is what I would want
1) box with plenty of room for cables - pick a deeper box and not one which is too shallow
2) strong box - metal
3) stud on one side of the box - or 2x4 or similar wood around the box that I can screw into to secure any security camera related fixtures to.

You can always DIY mod a new lid and even mount a Dahua / Hikvision OEM junction box / wall mount on top of a standard electrical box.

Remember to test locations, and think about the light fixtures also - as they will affect the performance of the security cameras

Ckb3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You could ask the contractor to use a Round box instead of a single/double gang.

SecurityCams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One poster said make sure don’t use CCA , Copper clad aluminum. He is absolutely right. It’s a lot cheaper and a very bad choice. Stay with solid or stranded copper.
Also, last time I checked cat 5e and 6 have the same identical specs. Only difference is 6 was tested .
Are you going to put this cable in conduit?

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
One poster said make sure don’t use CCA , Copper clad aluminum. He is absolutely right. It’s a lot cheaper and a very bad choice. Stay with solid or stranded copper.
Also, last time I checked cat 5e and 6 have the same identical specs. Only difference is 6 was tested .
Are you going to put this cable in conduit?
Solid copper cable should be used. Stranded copper cable should really be used for patch leads.