New house, camera and NVR question

ctfortner

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all, we recently bought a new house and I want to upgrade from my, well, umm, arlos. There that's out the way :)

In the beginning, I am planning to purchase 4 of the IPC-HDW5231R-Z along with 1 NVR4108-8P-4KS2. It is kind of remote on some acres of land and about 350 off the road, so my main goal is good night vision as well as general daytime monitoring. I will not be looking to read moving license plates or anything like that, more so need good facial recognition day or night if there was an intruder.

I want to be able to record 24x7, stream from internet or android, have motion alerting to smartphone or email, and audio would be a bonus. I think I have these covered with the setup above, but I would like confirmation of that. The cams and NVR are all around $160 each, if you would recommend anything different in the price range, please let me know. At this time I am not wanting to spend much more than that, unless there is a must have reason to do so.

I am still trying to determine the best cam locations

I attached an aerial of the place. Thanks!

Attachments

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That stuff you have parked to the left of the house partway down your driveway looks to be at least 100ft away from the house and likely one of the places a wandering crook would go. Eventually you might want a post out there with its own camera (buried wire feeding it, unless you have power already over there). Until then maybe you want a higher zoom model (Z5 or Z12) to zoom in on that from the house.

When you set up all of this stuff, be sure to disable UPnP in your router and do not port forward anything, but instead set up a VPN that you will connect to whenever you want to remotely view. Cameras and NVRs are notoriously vulnerable to hacks. If a VPN isn't feasible (maybe you want other people to be able to connect and view cameras) then I'd suggest you try Blue Iris instead of an NVR. Blue Iris runs on Windows PCs and gets updated very frequently so if a major vulnerability is ever discovered it will be easy to patch, and this (among other reasons) makes it much safer to run exposed through an open port without a VPN. Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk

ctfortner

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The stuff parked away from the house was previous owner. We just bought the place and that is an old aerial. However I will soon be breaking ground on a detached workshop in the area, and of course it will be wired, so i will have power and cams added there once that is done. Maybe Blue Iris is the way to go then. I'm an IT person so setting that up shouldnt be an issue, but I am pretty new to IP cam stuff.

vinson

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i think your house not enough 4 camera . 8 its more better.u can try 2 ptz starline and 4 IPC-HDW5231R-Z or R-ZE and 2 IPC-HDW5231R-Z5 or z12.
NVR5216-16P-4KS2.

ctfortner

n3wb
Reaction score
I hope to upgrade to around 8 over time, probably going to start with 4 and upgrade more as budget allows.