New House Setup and Camera Placement on a Sloping Grade

Marchdot

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm doing a whole-home reno and an addition (basically all new construction at this point), and I'm about to have cable run for cameras. I've spent way, way too long reading and planning and now I need to give the OK on final placement. The front & sides are kinda straightforward, but the sloping grade of the house makes the southwest (bottom left) area tricky. I'll also have three interior door cameras covering entrances (not pictured).
Based on what I've read here and on other forums I'll probably be going almost entirely with Dahua turrets for the exteriors and Dahua domes for the three interior with Blue Iris through a 24 port Ubiquiti Unifi 250w switch. I plan on testing lens needs by getting a vari-focal Dahua if I can manage to find one I'll be able to re-use.
This forum has been a huge help already, and I would GREATLY appreciate any feedback:

• How does the placement look?
  • Would any of these exterior cameras be better off as domes or bullets?
  • I've read that 2mp is better for nighttime recording. Is 4mp/5mp still fine for nighttime?
  • Can anyone recommend any particular models? E & G will probably need WDR, and I'd really like h.265 if possible

A = (2.8mm?) Front door, under porch ceiling angled for a good view of walkway. Will also have some sort of doorbell cam
B = (2.8mm?) Southeast corner, looking towards the front door.
C = (4mm or higher?) Driveway. There will be a gate right below that camera. Unfortunately the eaves are at least 9' up at that point
D = (2.8mm?) Kitchen side door at top of stairs. D will primarily cover that door & stairs. The main door I'll be using
E = (2.8mm?)End of driveway, car parking area, and door to walk-out basement/downstairs office. Having typed that I feel that might be too much to cover and I may need another camera between E & D pointing southwest
F = (2.8mm?)Underneath deck covering downstairs office windows and part of the backyard
G = (4mm?)On top of deck mainly to cover the french doors to the kitchen
H = (4mm?)Somewhat optional camera; I will have a door to the crawlspace beneath my house that this camera will cover so better safe than sorry
I = (4mm or higher?)North side of house. Probably 10' up at that point

Here are some more renders of rough placement:
Front of the house:

Facing Northeast:

Facing Southeast:

Thank you!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome @Marchdot

Do check out the cliff notes - iirc we have numerous notes there to help on this.

I see you are looking at placing the cameras high - recommend 6-8 feet high, and recommend putting a camera at eye level by the exterior doors - so run a few cat6 lines down by the doors for a camera and a POE doorbell / intercomm.

Remember to over cable N+1 .. remember to see the notes on other cat6/5e cabling needs and ideas.

If you plan to park on the street - plan to cover the street well.

Look at varifocal cameras - so you do not have to guess what lens / FOV to get.

Remember, the most important thing you can do is a good job with the cable placement.

Hopefully you'll have some time to test the locations you're marked before committing to them.

Have fun with the project, and definitely over cable now while the work is easier.

Marchdot

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I definitely read the cliff notes (though in reviewing them now I see there's a varifocal 2MP Stralight I could use for testing). I will absolutely run an extra Cat6 to each location. I'm considering covering the area in front of my front fence since I park there occasionally, but it's hard to place a camera there that's inconspicuous. I'll already have at least 3 cameras visible from the street. I don't want to look a drug dealer's house and be a bigger target.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. ..I don't want to look a drug dealer's house and be a bigger target.
HI @Marchdot

Remember you can paint the cameras to match your walls, and do not worry about having more cameras. If you use varifocal cameras you can often have them setup further away to give you the view you want.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
They can be, but about the time you have that 2.8mm mounted and realize you can't get facial ID unless they're 3ft from the camera, you'll wish you had the VF

You're in Cali, doing a total renovation and addition in the most expensive real estate area of the country outside of NYC, and you're worried about spending an extra $500-$750 to do this right? Hell thats the price of a couple of pizza and beer nights out there aint it ;)

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Sometimes seeing is believing ;)

Vari focal 2MP Starlight turret. Zoomed all the way out = 2.8mm

(be sure to change youtube player to 1080p)

Marchdot

n3wb
Reaction score
@bigredfish Fair point. First thing's first, I need to get a varifocal to test with. Is the Dahua 2MP Starlight Varifocal Turret IPC-HDW5231R-ZE still the gold standard? Any reason to get that one of the over the -Z version? Also, I have some rare free time over the next few days; is there anywhere you know of that ships them overnight/2-day to California?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The ZE replaced the Z same camera.

You could try our board favorite Dahua supplier, Andy @EMPIRETECANDY with Empire Tec, he has an Amazon store. By the way the 2231R-ZS is very similar to the 5231 but with a few less features. Both at top of that Amazon store page. Or contact Andy on the forum by starting a conversation with him - top right of this page.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.