New house surveillance system: any suggestions?

AlexP_Ita

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello to all. I'm a newbie in the surveillance world and I'm looking for some DIY solutions to keep my home safe and away from the bad guys.
So, I lurked for a couple of months the forum and I learned so much good stuff about cameras, switch, wiring, etc…, but I need your suggestions to create a good surveillance system.

In points, this is what I thought so far:

This is my camera layout:

Cattura.JPG

Cam1.JPG Cam2.JPG Cam3.JPG Cam4.JPG Cam5.JPG Cam6.JPG Cam7.JPG

Do you think is a good configuration?

Any suggestions?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you don't care if the switch is unmanaged (no web interface or configuration), this is a great choice too: http://a.co/0rzqxbx

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd suggest -Z5 or -Z12 starlights for the longer zoom cams, since the standard varifocal -Z doesn't zoom very far.

But otherwise that looks like a solid plan.

You might even consider burying some cable and mounting a couple cameras on the fence looking back toward the house.

AlexP_Ita

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the valuable advice!
About the switch, I thought it was too expensive for my purpose, but I just wanted to be sure the power for the POE cameras was sufficient. I will follow your suggestion and move on to the BV-Tech one (https://www.amazon.com/BV-Tech-Port-Gigabit-Unmanaged-Switch/dp/B00F6DL2FS/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1516265261&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=BV-Tech+POE-SW800G&psc=1).

About z12 camera….Very good hint, man! I’m thinking of reducing the total number of the cameras to 6, putting two IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 instead of 3 turrets on the long side of the borders. Is that a good idea in your opinion?

Here my new cameras layout:

cam a.JPG

cam b.JPG

Cam1.JPG
Cam2.JPG
Cam4.JPG
Cam5.JPG
What do u think? And thx again in advance Guys!

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the valuable advice!
About the switch, I thought it was too expensive for my purpose, but I just wanted to be sure the power for the POE cameras was sufficient. I will follow your suggestion and move on to the BV-Tech one (https://www.amazon.com/BV-Tech-Port-Gigabit-Unmanaged-Switch/dp/B00F6DL2FS/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1516265261&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=BV-Tech+POE-SW800G&psc=1).

About z12 camera….Very good hint, man! I’m thinking of reducing the total number of the cameras to 6, putting two IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 instead of 3 turrets on the long side of the borders. Is that a good idea in your opinion?

Here my new cameras layout:

View attachment 25719

View attachment 25720

View attachment 25721
View attachment 25722
View attachment 25723
View attachment 25724
What do u think? And thx again in advance Guys!
The Z12 is a good choice, it can cover a longer distance and powerful lens it has.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@AlexP_Ita -

Plan for more cameras, not less - and over cable. Hopefully you've seen some of those notes from other discussions here.
Please let me know if you have seen them.

Recommend N+1+ for locations you plan to have ethernet drops, including cameras locations.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BTW - enjoyed this youtube video on "smart home" pre-wiring.

Many other folks forget the security cameras wiring, OR still use and recommend coax!!
( which I just don't get, as you can use Baluns with Cat6 which are more affordable than Baluns with coax )

Defcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know the starlights are cracking cameras for low light detail but does no one recommend a higher MP cam for daylight footage especially these 4/5/6/4K cams?

Or is it a case, that if the cams are outside, MP goes out the window as low level light performance is more important?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I know the starlights are cracking cameras for low light detail but does no one recommend a higher MP cam for daylight footage especially these 4/5/6/4K cams?

Or is it a case, that if the cams are outside, MP goes out the window as low level light performance is more important?
For me, low-light performance is a little more important... after the sun has set is usually when the most interesting things outside of my house tend to occur.

Even with the Starlights being some of the best low-light cameras available, for my setup, their low-light image quality still isn't as good as their daylight quality. Knowing that virtually all higher MP cameras would do even worse in low-light, ... they're not an option for me.

IMO, it all depends on the situation. If you have bright LED lights on your driveway all night long, a 4K camera may be a better option there.