New indoor IP cam you can trust

HarryMe

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there,
I am looking for a new indoor IP cam which offers PTZ and which I can trust since Foscam seems to be spying on the users, at least that’s what an article says.
the new IP cam should also be compatible with Synology’s recording app as I am using it to record.

Thanks a lot

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there,
I am looking for a new indoor IP cam which offers PTZ and which I can trust since Foscam seems to be spying on the users, at least that’s what an article says.
the new IP cam should also be compatible with Synology’s recording app as I am using it to record.

Thanks a lot
Trusting a camera manufacturer with your privacy is like trusting a sex offender with your kids. They always repeat.
see wiki on securing your network.

Reaction score
If your router cannot block selected MAC addresses from accessing the internet, get a newer Asus router (or other brand) that provides this function. Otherwise, dedicate some hardware to an open-source router solution that provides this function.

Now, all that being said, the Amcrest IP4M-1051 from Amazon is a solid pan/tilt (no zoom) Dahua-built camera that is re-branded and sold by Amcrest. Picture quality and firmware quality and reliability are all great, for less than $100. And I don't mean $99.99, either. Check Amazon. You can get them in either black or white plastic.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 ^^^ to Looney's link to the Amcrest IP2M-841, a re-branded Dahua.

It is ONVIF compatible, provides RTSP, is 1080p, IR, 2-way audio plus mike in/speaker out, has pan/tilt/digital zoom, record to micro SD card, wired or wireless and has alarm in/out, great with Blue Iris, VLC, etc. Comes with wall/ceiling mount, 1/4"-20 tripod mount female insert on bottom. Available in black or white for under $50 !

I've installed 4 of the V2 versions and 3 of it's lower-res (720p) cousins in the last 4 years and all have functioned with no hiccups.

I currently use 2 of them with Blue Iris; one on front porch to look at deliveries and 1 in sunroom to watch the dogs, one of the 2 is operating on Wi-Fi. I have also set one up with Tinycam Pro on a Sony smart TV (Android).

VERY hard to beat for $50, IMO.

EDIT #2 of 4/1/21: V3 does NOT provide relay I/O nor jacks for an external mic and speaker.

Last edited:

hnt

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm also looking for two inexpensive indoor cams I can put on a table when needed and these Amcrest IP2M-841W for 50USD seems to be exactly what I need.
Unfortunately in EU I see them for 113EUR, so I guess I'll look for some alternatives

Reaction score
I'm also looking for two inexpensive indoor cams I can put on a table when needed and these Amcrest IP2M-841W for 50USD seems to be exactly what I need.
Unfortunately in EU I see them for 113EUR, so I guess I'll look for some alternatives
I usually recommend FDT cams for our EU members, but the only FDT items I see today are 720p older tech. :(
FDT was an EU brand name used by Foscam USA to sell in the EU.
Same cameras, just a different name.