New install critique request; replacing Arlo Pro 2 system

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome here Constant,

I would try to place a camera in the area by the front door and window.

You've got a couple of challenges there, so I would try the following

See if you can use an camera indoor there pushed up against the window - if you keep the porch light on and the camera pushed up to the window with black felt around the lens so that you minimize interior light hitting the camera lens - that may work well enough.

The other option is mounting a camera on the corners of the window and door frame.

The camera I like by my front door is the mini-dome wedge - it is about 4" in diameter, so worth making a template and seeing if that works. The challenge is that the pig tail requires a significantly large hole to go through. iirc 3/4" or so.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You can mount it on the top left of the door where it meets the windows...it will be just fine...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I will go ahead and prep that area then for a front door camera. Probably getting a mini-dome wedge that mat2000 recommended. I also found another possibility what if I were to mount the camera on the wall where the porch light is up in the corner...though I would probably get more side face than if I had it by the door/window
If you dont mind a larger camera, go with a turret...
Also you are best of waiting for the camera, then testing it in various locations so you are happy with the placement before doing all that work...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Good plan, I will probably use my arlo as a test cam now and take some time to really think about it. For a retracted door like mine, should I go with a 4mm over a 2.8mm lens?
buy a varifocal turret, you wont have to guess...you will likely run it in corridor mode..

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like Netgear's Arlo is suffering a major outage today, Thu March 8, 2018 ... why cloud cameras suck:

Dear Arlo customer,

Please be advised that Arlo online services are temporarily unavailable. Our team is actively working on restoring services as soon as possible.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. To stay informed on further updates, please visit the Arlo community.
- The Arlo Team

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is 4MP vs 8MP/4K a personal preference at this point in 4K development? Besides price and storage space, what are some other advantages of keeping with 4MP? Any technical features that come into play?
Hi Constant,

I would look at maximizing one of the following depending on your need:

1) Low Light - if important consider Dahua OEM starlights.
2) Day Light - consider a good 4K camera for daytime res

Personally I like the idea of a mix.

Package thieves come during the day,
Car thieves / door checkers come during the night.