New install - events missing 1st 5 seconds

The_Penguin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi all. Just did a new install at work. Windows 10 Pro 1511 running in a VM under Hyper-V server 2012.
4GB Ram, 4 VCPUs
Host is a fairly powerful server with fast local disk and plenty of horsepower.
2 IP cameras (Top-201) at 10FPS 720p. Using the defaults for Top-201, model super mini, with the port set to the camera's default 34567.

Recording is direct to disk, Blue Iris format, with 10 pre-trigger frames selected, and combine/cut NOT selected.

Everything seems to be working fine, performance is good, CPU 6-10% and an Atto disk speed test gets very good results.

The problem is on a motion event, say a person exiting an office and walking down the hallway, the motion is detected, and the thumbail preview of the even shows the person at their office door. But when you play the video, it starts with them already down the hallway (approximately 5 seconds later)
I have tweaked a few setting that I thought might be contributing, but no luck so far. Maybe it's something simple that I missed?

Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
When running direct to disk you need to lower your iframe interval as blue iris starts recording on the new frame - match it to your frame rate...you should also increase the pretrigger frames to at least 30.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
What's your iframe interval set to on the camera(s)? if your frame rate is 10fps and your iframe interval is 50, (default for some cams,)
you might miss stuff cuz recordings can only start on an iframe, which is happening only every 5 seconds...

general recomendation is to set your iframe interval to same as frame rate (ie, 10 in your case).
Then the pre-trigger setting of 10+ frames will make sure to get you up to a second of video leading up to the trigger...

edit: as usual, fenderman beat me to the punch... :)

btw, is this the same Penguin that did some reverse-engineering of Symon Netbrite LED marquee signs a while back?

The_Penguin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Forgot to mention, iframe is set to 10.
Will try 30 pre-trigger frames.

Oh, not the same Penguin. We all look alike :)

The_Penguin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Make time is .4 sec break is 10.
Increasing pre-trigger helped a bit. A couple events were ok, but others still the same.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Make time is .4 sec break is 10.
Increasing pre-trigger helped a bit. A couple events were ok, but others still the same.
post an image of your motion and record settings.
Though not related to your issue, I would increase break time to at least 30 seconds.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What are the zone settings? is a good portion of the frame covered for motion detection?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
So almost the entire frame is green for Zone A, correct?

have you tried it with 'object detection' enabled?

The_Penguin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So almost the entire frame is green for Zone A, correct?

have you tried it with 'object detection' enabled?
Yes, have tried object detection on and off. From what I can tell it's detecting motion fine, just dropping the first 5-7 seconds in the recorded file.
Here's an example. I jump in front of the camera with 1 finger up, then add fingers counting 1 per second. The preview/thumbnail shows a hand with 1 finger up, when you play the video it starts with 5 fingers counting up to 10. I would suspect slow disk I/O but testing indicates it's very good. I may export my whole config to a physical machine,and test, so I can see if it's a Hyper-V thing, or not. I've been running Blue Iris at home with many more cameras on a (physical) system that's doing many other things, and have never seen this.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
you might try disabling 'use rtsp/stream timecode' in the cam's BI video/configure screen, if you haven't already...

Reaction score
Yes, have tried object detection on and off. From what I can tell it's detecting motion fine, just dropping the first 5-7 seconds in the recorded file.
Here's an example. I jump in front of the camera with 1 finger up, then add fingers counting 1 per second. The preview/thumbnail shows a hand with 1 finger up, when you play the video it starts with 5 fingers counting up to 10. I would suspect slow disk I/O but testing indicates it's very good. I may export my whole config to a physical machine,and test, so I can see if it's a Hyper-V thing, or not. I've been running Blue Iris at home with many more cameras on a (physical) system that's doing many other things, and have never seen this.
I had a similar issue when I first set up BI about a year ago. It turned out windows was putting the HDD to sleep after a certain time of inactivity. So when BI would start to record, the HDD would have to come out of sleep mode before it saved the recordings, because of this, I would miss the first few seconds of the recording. I had to turn off that option under the power settings.

The_Penguin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I had a similar issue when I first set up BI about a year ago. It turned out windows was putting the HDD to sleep after a certain time of inactivity. So when BI would start to record, the HDD would have to come out of sleep mode before it saved the recordings, because of this, I would miss the first few seconds of the recording. I had to turn off that option under the power settings.
It's a VM so not likely an issue. Plus, it's doing direct to disk, so should technically we writing constantly.

Reaction score
Only if you have it configured to record constantly. If it's set to motion record, it's only going to record to the disk when there is motion.

The_Penguin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Some more testing and observations.
I moved the Blue Iris install to another VM, and established Win7 64 VM, and same issues. Then I moved the installation to a physical workstation, i& with a boatload of RAM and SSD hard drive. Still behaving the same way.
THEN, I added a third camera, another Top-201 (an older one from home) and it is behaving perfectly.
So I lookedat the stats and noticed the properly working camera had a higher bitrate. I bumped up the bitrate on the other 2 201s to the max (1273) and did more testing. Now one of the new 201s is working better, but the other still (sometimes) drops video.
The bitrate in the status screen increased from 88-90 kB/s to 148-161 kB/s

So I'm still stumped, but leaning towards it being a camera problem. Will bring in one of my Hik 2032s tomorrow and test with it as well.

albone3000

n3wb
Reaction score
Im having the same problem on two systems. Both dual cores, an e8400 and an e7400. Different cameras on both systems. one has 4 anran 720p, the other 3 USG 1080p. I followed all the tips like the I frame, pre-trigger, make time and ive played with all the settings myself and i cant get consistent recordings. The pretrigger definitely helped. Sometimes the snapshot in the clips column will show the beginning of the motion event as expected but the video missed the entire event.

The_Penguin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Im having the same problem on two systems. Both dual cores, an e8400 and an e7400. Different cameras on both systems. one has 4 anran 720p, the other 3 USG 1080p. I followed all the tips like the I frame, pre-trigger, make time and ive played with all the settings myself and i cant get consistent recordings. The pretrigger definitely helped. Sometimes the snapshot in the clips column will show the beginning of the motion event as expected but the video missed the entire event.
Thanks for the input. I'm getting such mixed test results that I've barked up the wrong tree a few times. Last test has 2 of the new Top 201s on the same switch on the desl right beside each other. Settings are cloned between the 2 cameras, and sometimes they both get the full capture of the event INCLUDING the preframes, other times just the event, and the cameras seem to "take turns" missing the first 5-8 seconds. It's a real head scratcher.