New Intel i7 processors

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyone running the new i7 Haswell processors, the i7-5960X, i7-5930K and i7-5820K. Wonder how many 3MP cameras you can get on a PC with these processors and BlueIris. Finally they are offering the consumer what has been available to the Xeon server grade processors for 2 years with and 8 core i7 processors. Crazy power consumption though, 140W, almost double the basic i7-4770 processor.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you wait just a very little bit the Broadwell processors will be out and they are supposed to reduce power consumption in a big way. Moving from 22nm to a 14nm process which will help quite a bit there.

The downside is that this is a delayed launch that should have already been out and shipping at some level already so they are behind and this will be a short lived processor. This is a "tick" in the Intel roadmap and the more significant "tock" is called Skylake and they are not adjusting the launch date due to the delay on the prior chip so it may only be out about six months or so before you start to see the Skylake chips hitting.

The new Skylake chips will be moving to DDR4 RAM and other major changes so any investment in a computer now will not be as movable to a new machine. I have an i7 with 16gb of ram as my personal desktop now and I'm waiting on all upgrades until new stuff hits and then drops in price! New RAM and all is going to make for a more expensive upgrade but it's a major jump in tech too so I guess it will be worth the wait?

johngalt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The new Skylake chips will be moving to DDR4 RAM and other major changes so any investment in a computer now will not be as movable to a new machine. I have an i7 with 16gb of ram as my personal desktop now and I'm waiting on all upgrades until new stuff hits and then drops in price! New RAM and all is going to make for a more expensive upgrade but it's a major jump in tech too so I guess it will be worth the wait?
Where are they???? Ready for my next build! Think it's a better option than i7-5820k for general purpose desktop?

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
According to the latest news they will be available in the retail channel in August to September time frame.

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2015/2015072901_Core_i3_and_Pentium_Skylake_CPUs_to_launch_in_September.html

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2015/2015042701_Rumored_Intel_Skylake-S_desktop_CPU_lineup.html

Average increase of 7% and top increases of 29% in some areas at the exact same clock speeds of the prior generation it seems from super early which is pretty nice form early leaked benchmarks (but if real or not who knows yet), I'd expect to see all the motherboards hitting any time now too.

Last edited by a moderator:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
i7-5820k is powerful, but it pulls significantly more electricity and won't be as fast for single threaded performance as a skylake i5 or i7. I would not buy one at this point... I'd wait for Skylake.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score