New IP Surveillance system

Turks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Turks and Caicos Islands, British Caribbean
Hi guys. I am implementing a security surveillance system with (9) 8MP PTZs and (27) 8MP Bullet Dahua cameras. The 36 cameras will be connected to 3 different NVRs located at three separate locations connected via VPN. There will be a security command station at each of the 3 locations that will view all of the 36 cameras. My question is how much bandwidth is needed to view the 36 cameras from each of the remote locations (Location 1, 2 and 3 will be monitoring all of the 36 cameras) being that they are 4K 8MP.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Turks,

Look at the Spec sheet of the cameras on min and max bandwidth and add up the type of streams you plan to get. While the actual usage will be a number between the min and max you should use the max number for planning this out.

IIRC - a 4K 15fps Dahua camera can use about 10Mbps ..

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Will that 10mbps be cut in half when using h.265 or h.265+?
Hi Turks,

Please do take a lot at the specs your cameras have, I'm just providing details from what I recall reading - and certainly you don't want to design a business info system without double checking my recall ;-)

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
It looks like you are going to have a total 36 cameras for all 3 locations. How many cameras are you going to have at each individual location? The upload speed is going to be the most important and the biggest challenge. If each location has a 10mbps upload connection or greater, you should be ok. When you are streaming several cameras in Smart PSS, you have the option to stream them in sub-stream, which uses a fraction of the bandwidth when streaming in main-stream.

Turks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey baba. Thanks for reaching out. This system will be at a sea port so the sub stream quality will not work as the resolution will be crappy. For example when remote streaming mobotix with a slow upload speed the cameras flash in and out. I don't mind choppy or some freezing but do dahlias completely drop out and in?

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
What I mean is you can set your sub-stream resolution to 720p, set the FPS to 12-15, and turn down the bit rate to somewhere around 800-1600. 720p on a 16 window cascade, on a 40 or 50 inch screen still looks pretty damn good, especially with Dahua cameras. As someone that watches a lot of video for a living, I would rather have nice flowing video that is at a lower resolution than choppy and freezing 4k video.

Turks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea. I was wondering what size monitors to get. So you think 40" would be a good size? Also for the security guards viewing local live view on the local network it should show well at high resolution right? I am going to run fiber for all the local traffic.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
If you are using a vms such as smart pss on a pc, on the local network, the software will manage whether the video is in sub or main stream for you. When you are viewing multiple cameras, the cameras can be in sub, and when one camera is expanded to full screen, the vms will disconnect all other video streams and turn the highlighted camera view into main stream. The size of the monitor usually depends on space and budget. The larger the screen, the farther away you need to be sitting or standing to view it.