New ipcam not detected via router but ok direct to Poe port

Frankf77

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, been running a Hikvision nvr for 3 years, 4 Poe cams connected to a hik Poe switch connected to router, which is connected to nvr. All was ok but it now appears all 4 cams have failed, Sadp tool cannot detect them even when they are connected direct to pc lan.

Bought a new hik Poe cam to test - connected direct to Poe port on nvr and it works fine, detected straightaway but when connected like the others via the router, the nvr can’t detect it. The sadp can see it on the network no problem.
I’ve tried numerous ways of connecting, but direct to Poe port seems the only way it detects. I’ve tested cables too and bypassed the switch just in case.

I’m pretty sure the ip and gateway addresses are ok, as mentioned, it’s fine when connected directly to Poe port.

It seems to me that the nvr is not communicating with the router for some reason? Tho the sadp tool can see it on the network

Can anyone shed any light or guide me as to what the nvr network settings should be?

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ideally you don't want the camera traffic passing through the router on it's way to the NVR.
The NVR should be connected direct to the POE switch, not to the router.
Do you have your router set so that the NVR and cams can not connect to the Internet?
Have you tried any of the old cams connected directly to the NVR's POE port?
If your router is not setup correctly, it's possible the cams have been hacked, and that's why they are offline.
You might see if a hard reset back to factory defaults corrects this.
How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk

Frankf77

n3wb
Reaction score
Ideally you don't want the camera traffic passing through the router on it's way to the NVR.
The NVR should be connected direct to the POE switch, not to the router.
Do you have your router set so that the NVR and cams can not connect to the Internet?
Have you tried any of the old cams connected directly to the NVR's POE port?
If your router is not setup correctly, it's possible the cams have been hacked, and that's why they are offline.
You might see if a hard reset back to factory defaults corrects this.
How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk
Hi,
1, I have to use this configuration as I can’t feed 4 cables to the nvr, it’s been working fine like this for 3 years
2,The nvr & cams can normally be accessed remotely
3, yes tried connecting old cam direct to Poe but no good, however the new cam is perfectly ok if connected to Poe port

The sadp can see both the nvr and the new cam on the network so the nvr must be connected to the router ok?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
connect the cameras to the POE switch and connect the POE switch to the back of the NVR.
What is the model number of the NVR ?
Never run the camera traffic through the router.

Frankf77

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for reply,

I tried that with the old cams but no good - haven’t tried with the new cam yet tho.

The nvr model is DS-7604NI-E1-4P/A

You say never run the cam traffic through the router, but that’s the recommended method when using a Poe switch- according to Hikvision and all other manufacturers.?
if I were to connect the switch into the nvr lan as you suggest, then how could I enable remote access over the net etc? Or am I missing something?

Many thanks

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
You say never run the cam traffic through the router, but that’s the recommended method when using a Poe switch- according to Hikvision and all other manufacturers.?
if I were to connect the switch into the nvr lan as you suggest, then how could I enable remote access over the net etc? Or am I missing something?

Many thanks
I'd like to see a reference to such a statement that it is the "recommended" method.

Remote access is not required as you remain the same LAN (with the same IP subnet and gateways and such).

PS. Make a network diagram, write down the IPs of NVR, cams, router, gateways ... etc, it will become much easier to understand the topology and the requirement (or lack of) remote access etc.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for reply,

I tried that with the old cams but no good - haven’t tried with the new cam yet tho.

The nvr model is DS-7604NI-E1-4P/A

Many thanks
Nope, a lot of routers can not handle that much traffic going through them.
Try what I and @SouthernYankee have suggested about wiring the nvr direct to the poe switch.
Also, reset the faulty cams back to factory default.

Frankf77

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok thanks, I’ll try connecting the nvr to the uplink port of the Poe switch, but I still don’t get how remote access can work using hik-connect app etc.
The old cams can’t be reset because I can’t detect them whatever method I use.

When I search for ‘connecting nvr to cams via a Poe switch’ etc, I get loads of entries and you tube videos illustrating the method I described e.g. cams into switch and the uplink cable into the router and a cable from router to the nvr.

I’ll sort a diagram of the setup.
Many thanks

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
DS-7604NI-E1 has 4 built in POE ports. Are those not able to be used? Ideally and the most simple would be to just plug the cameras there using plug and play. If not then plug your cameras into POE switch and then to one of the onboard NVR POE ports. If not then plug the POE switch on the LAN side of the NVR. Con's about that would be that your cameras are not protected behind the NVR. It would also be sending data through your router and depending on your router will have bandwidth issue and slow down your whole network.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If not then plug your cameras into POE switch and then to one of the onboard NVR POE ports.
On a Hikvision NVR, that would only allow one camera from the PoE switch to connect at any one time.
But if the PoE switch is on the LAN, you can tell the NVR to connect to each cameras on the switch by changing the mode of the NVR PoE channel to Manual from Plug&Play, and changing the channel IP address to the LAN IP address of the camera.

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you plug in a POE switch into one of the on board POE's on the NVR, it will only plug and play one camera on that switch. You will need to go into the camera settings, find an empty port and set it to manual from plug and play and manually enter the information for each camera. To minimize any headaches I will manually enter any information for all the cameras. So in a nutshell you are protected by the NVR's POE network and you just all each camera to each channel manually.

Frankf77

n3wb
Reaction score
DS-7604NI-E1 has 4 built in POE ports. Are those not able to be used? Ideally and the most simple would be to just plug the cameras there using plug and play. If not then plug your cameras into POE switch and then to one of the onboard NVR POE ports. If not then plug the POE switch on the LAN side of the NVR. Con's about that would be that your cameras are not protected behind the NVR. It would also be sending data through your router and depending on your router will have bandwidth issue and slow down your whole network.
I can’t use the built in Poe ports because I can’t get 4 cables down to the nvr, just the one from the switch.

I don’t understand tho that if I do as suggested - plug the Poe switch into the LAN on nvr - how does it send data thru the router?
I will try connecting the switch to a Poe port and see what that does.

Many Thanks

Last edited:

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You do not need to have all 4 cables going from the cameras to the NVR's POE. You can have all 4 cameras plugged into the external POE and then have one cable going into one of the NVR's POE ports. This is ideal because it put the cameras behind the NVR so that is another layer of protection if there is any hacking.

Yes you can just plug the cameras into somewhere on the network but your cameras will need to be on the same IP scheme as the router. For example.... Hikvision NVR has the default IP of the onboard POE of 192.168.254.X. If your cameras are not on that NVR's onboard POE then your camera's will not be using the "254" network. It will be the network of where the cameras are plugged into. Let me know you topography of your setup. Where and how is everything wired up?

Frankf77

n3wb
Reaction score
You do not need to have all 4 cables going from the cameras to the NVR's POE. You can have all 4 cameras plugged into the external POE and then have one cable going into one of the NVR's POE ports. This is ideal because it put the cameras behind the NVR so that is another layer of protection if there is any hacking.

Yes you can just plug the cameras into somewhere on the network but your cameras will need to be on the same IP scheme as the router. For example.... Hikvision NVR has the default IP of the onboard POE of 192.168.254.X. If your cameras are not on that NVR's onboard POE then your camera's will not be using the "254" network. It will be the network of where the cameras are plugged into. Let me know you topography of your setup. Where and how is everything wired up?
Many thanks for that, just to be clear, I can connect the ‘uplink’ cable from the Poe switch to one of the onboard Poe ports at the rear of the nvr?
I will create a diagram of my layout with info;
P.s. it’s been running fine for 3 years with the Poe switch connected to the router, does that just mean they were at risk of hacking?

Thanks

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You may have been at risk of getting hacked. But a small risk. Cameras should not be exposed to the internet. Whan cameras are plugged into the back of the NVR via the POE ports, thy are not exposed to the internet. If the cameras are connect to your home network in some cases they may be exposed to the internet. It depends on how they are connected to the home LAN, and what equipment, switches, routers.... are on the network.

That is why the diagram was requested, with the equipment and IP address ?

Frankf77

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Southernyankee, the model of the nvr is DS-7604NI-E1-4P/A

ive attached a diagram of current set up - only difference is I only have 4 cams connected obviously.

Many thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi Southernyankee, the model of the nvr is DS-7604NI-E1-4P/A

ive attached a diagram of current set up - only difference is I only have 4 cams connected obviously.

Many thanks
Very well, good start! However we'd like to see the IP addresses (subnets/gateway(s)) on each of these devices. Also clearly indicate which ports you use on your NVR.

Thanks!
CC

Frankf77

n3wb
Reaction score
Very well, good start! However we'd like to see the IP addresses (subnets/gateway(s)) on each of these devices. Also clearly indicate which ports you use on your NVR.

Thanks!
CC
ill post images of ip addresses soon.

I dont use any ports on the NVR with this set up (see above posts) just the LAN to the router.

thanks

Frankf77

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, Ive now changed the test camera's IP address, subnet & gateway etc via the SADP tool and its now working fine! its still connected to the POE switch and the switch is connected to the router as original set up.

I just need to replace all four cams now, which are clearly U/S as they cant be discovered via SADP even when connected directly to the PC. There does not appear to be any factory reset button either (even inside it)

When I change the cams, can I connect the 'uplink' cable from the POE switch, to one of the POE ports at the back of the nvr? If so, do I then change the cam settings in the hikvision menu, to manual instead of PnP and change the IP addresses accordingly? (I would have activated each cam and changed its address beforehand via SADP tool) - Will that work OK - will the NVR then see all 4 cams not just one?

Also, will remote access be affected by doing this or will it need setting up again?

I assume this will keep them behind the NVR and not 'exposed' via the router which they currently are and as pointed out earlier in this thread?

Many thanks for your advice and support.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, been running a Hikvision nvr for 3 years, 4 Poe cams connected to a hik Poe switch connected to router, which is connected to nvr. All was ok but it now appears all 4 cams have failed, Sadp tool cannot detect them even when they are connected direct to pc lan.
I just need to replace all four cams now, which are clearly U/S as they cant be discovered via SADP even when connected directly to the PC.
It does seem unlikely to me that all 4 cameras suddenly fail at the same time.
How did you power them when you connected them to the PC? I'm assuming a direct cable connection.

What model are they?
When they are connected to the PoE switch, does the Link Detect LED light on the switch port?