New LED Street Lights!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks like the County upgraded the street lights to LED the other day. Big difference.
(Camera is SD6AL433XA-HNR 4MP, 1/1,8" sensor PTZ)

Old lights
HOA Entr_IP PTZ Camera_main_20211215232007_@3.jpg HOA Entr_IP PTZ Camera_main_20211215232143_@3.jpg

New LED street lights
HOA Entr_IP PTZ Camera_main_20211216231908_@3.jpg HOA Entr_IP PTZ Camera_main_20211216232011_@3.jpg HOA Entr_IP PTZ Camera_main_20211216232018_@3.jpg

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
We've had them about 5 years now. They can dim them down at night so usually they start off bright early evening, get dimmer late on then quite dim overnight.

Another energy saving device we've had for a while is our street signs are either unlit - super high reflective panels that self light with the light from your headlights or have solar powered lights on top that charge during the day and emit a white light onto the sign face at night.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is hard to filter out the LEDs from the sky glow...
Yep.
Which is why City of San Jose, CA went to LOW pressure sodium (LPS, orange-like) many, many years ago. The powers at be at Lick Observatory on Mt. Hamilton lobbied the lawmakers and got them put in, swapping out other HID lighting types: HIGH pressure sodium (HPS, pinkish), mercury vapor (MV, blueish) and it's cousin, metal halide (MH, whitish blue). The LPS is monochromatic (Latin for "one color") so it's easier to filter out the glare from them and they can see the heavens better. Matter of fact, the International Astronomical Union named Asteroid 6216 San Jose to honor the city's efforts toward reducing light pollution, according to Wikipedia.

The cops (and yours truly) hate them; everyone looks the same race with purple lips, you can't properly ID the color of vehicles, clothing, etc. On the ground, liquids (coolant, water, battery acid, blood) all look the same. There were some exceptions for auto dealerships; they could use MH for better color rendition. Go figure....I guess money DOES talk.

Just ask @lulu5kamz .... he lives up in those hills not too far from that observatory.

Last edited:

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep.
Which is why City of San Jose, CA went to LOW pressure sodium (LPS, orange-like) many, many years ago. The powers at be at Lick Observatory on Mt. Hamilton lobbied the lawmakers and got them put in, swapping out other HID lighting types: HIGH pressure sodium (HPS, pinkish), mercury vapor (MV, blueish) and it's cousin, metal halide (MH, whitish blue). The LPS is monochromatic (Latin for "one color") so it's easier to filter out the glare from them and they can see the heavens better. Matter of fact, the International Astronomical Union named Asteroid 6216 San Jose to honor the city's efforts toward reducing light pollution, according to Wikipedia.

The cops (and yours truly) hate them; everyone looks the same race with purple lips, you can't properly ID the color of vehicles, clothing, etc. On the ground, liquids (coolant, water, battery acid, blood) all look the same. There were some exceptions for auto dealerships; they could use MH for better color rendition. Go figure....I guess money DOES talk.

Just ask @lulu5kamz .... he lives up in those hills not too far from that observatory.
San Jose recently converted some of those lights to LED. All the lights on this hillside and below us have been converted to LED. Here are the details:

Since the conversion, one of my Dahua T5442TM-AS will stay in color mode on cloudy nights or when it's raining. Here is screen grab from this morning at 1:25 AM. If it is a clear night, this camera will switch over to night vision mode at the same time as all my other cameras.

cap_Cam63.20211218_012000_1_00_00_53_01r.jpg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's great news!

We used to have to take the old LPS bulbs, put on gloves and safety glasses, break the bulb, add some water and cause the sodium to ignite inside a stainless steel crusher, reduce the sodium to harmless salts mixed with glass fragments. We could only do that to, IIRC, about 2 dozen bulbs a day. If a unbroken LPS bulb was thrown into everyday garbage, it could be shattered, rained on and ignite the garbage, possibly causing a dumpster or landfill fire.

Last edited:

hgthr

n3wb
Reaction score
Stumbled onto this thread when I went looking for anyone using cameras in the presence of LED street lights.

I'd like to install a new Dahua camera overlooking my driveway and am pretty much set on picking up a IPC-T5442TM-AS. County recently installed LED street lights. Lucky me, they put one smack dab at the end of our driveway. (I'm not sure what flavor LED but it's easy enough to look at)

Seems like a 5442 would do pretty good between house and street light?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Seems like a 5442 would do pretty good between house and street light?
Yes, it would...as long as the light doesn't hit your cam directly and blinding it (causing its auto-iris to 'close up') but hopefully more with the light reflected from down below objects off the roadway, driveway, cars, people, etc. I would think even at the end of your d/w and your cam not below 7 ft. you can get the area you want and not see the actual LED fixture, as most residential street lights if on a metal pole are at about 30 to 33 ft. high, depending on the arm's up-sweep.

hgthr

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, it would...as long as the light doesn't hit your cam directly and blinding it (causing its auto-iris to close up) but hopefully more with the light reflected from down below objects off the roadway, driveway, cars, people, etc. I would think even at the end of your d/w and your cam not below 7 ft. you can get the area you want and not see the actual LED fixture, as most residential street lights if on a metal pole are at about 30 to 33 ft. high, depending on the arm's up-sweep.
Thanks for the input, I hadn't considered FOV and what effect the LED fixture would have on it.
But you're right - with the location and angle I'm intending to install at it is pretty unlikely the LED fixture will even be in the frame or effected by direct light. I figured a 5442 would do well enough if for whatever reason the street light would go out. I'm looking forward to mock-install and configuration.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
See my post above, for reference the cams set at the top of my driveway, my driveway is 50 feet long, then a two lane street. Roughly 75 - 80 feet total distance and I get good results.