New member from Sweden

Aajjoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all,

Already spent spent a lot of time here earlier this year before getting my first cctv stuff for our summer house.
Sadly, I didn’t spend enough time here as I purchased something that I’m, 8 months down the road is not particularly happy with :)

This is what I got:
Onvif 1080P 8CH HD NVR KIT real POE SWITCH 48V 2MP 4pc POE module IP 42pcs IR 2.8 12mm Zoom lens Camera Waterproof P2P cctv kit-in Surveillance System from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

All in all, I’m happy with the cameras, picture quality etc (, heck they even caught burglars invading my neighbour’s house). And I get emails with snapshots when motion’s detected. So far so good.
What I’m not happy with is the lack of versatility when it comes to motion detection, it either detects everything or nothing. And in a place with lots of rain, snow and bugs, that’s a major issue.
Spent a couple of hours today looking in to Hikvisions line-crossing and intrusion detection features and figured that those functions probably would help me out a lot getting rid of false positives.

Can anyone help me out with some advice here?
Could I hook up my poe cameras to a Hikvision nvr and get these functions just like that or am I looking at replacing everything (cameras & nvr)?
Poe is a must as the cables are in place already and I shut down most of my house during the winter so basically the only working socket is the one that my poe nvr is hooked up to.

Thanks in advance!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

Already spent spent a lot of time here earlier this year before getting my first cctv stuff for our summer house.
Sadly, I didn’t spend enough time here as I purchased something that I’m, 8 months down the road is not particularly happy with :)

This is what I got:
Onvif 1080P 8CH HD NVR KIT real POE SWITCH 48V 2MP 4pc POE module IP 42pcs IR 2.8 12mm Zoom lens Camera Waterproof P2P cctv kit-in Surveillance System from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

All in all, I’m happy with the cameras, picture quality etc (, heck they even caught burglars invading my neighbour’s house). And I get emails with snapshots when motion’s detected. So far so good.
What I’m not happy with is the lack of versatility when it comes to motion detection, it either detects everything or nothing. And in a place with lots of rain, snow and bugs, that’s a major issue.
Spent a couple of hours today looking in to Hikvisions line-crossing and intrusion detection features and figured that those functions probably would help me out a lot getting rid of false positives.

Can anyone help me out with some advice here?
Could I hook up my poe cameras to a Hikvision nvr and get these functions just like that or am I looking at replacing everything (cameras & nvr)?
Poe is a must as the cables are in place already and I shut down most of my house during the winter so basically the only working socket is the one that my poe nvr is hooked up to.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome Aajjoo,

According to that webpage the cameras you have are ONVIF compatible, which is good news ( provided they are. )

If they are then you can use a NVR which accepts ONVIF cameras. Note, the more advanced features which exceed ONVIF specs probably will not work when combining different OEMs, and even some NVR which are lower tier models may not support the more advanced features. So you maybe out of luck with that as you wish to get better controls on alerts.

One option which may work is using a Blue Iris PC with those cameras... of course you would have to test and see if indeed those cameras are ONVIF compatible and work with Blue Iris.

Just in case you have not yet seen this:

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

Aajjoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Mat200,

Blue Iris looks like something that has all the features I’m looking for. However, as I’m completely miserable with network stuff, I’m pretty sure that going with a more smooth and straight forward solution is a better option for me.
Getting that kit that I linked to above to work was hard enough for me :)

I’ve been trying to find answers online whether the cameras I already have would work with a Hikvision dvr and would give me those features but I haven’t been able to find that yet.
That’s what brought me back here :)

Thanks again!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Mat200,

Blue Iris looks like something that has all the features I’m looking for. However, as I’m completely miserable with network stuff, I’m pretty sure that going with a more smooth and straight forward solution is a better option for me.
Getting that kit that I linked to above to work was hard enough for me :)

I’ve been trying to find answers online whether the cameras I already have would work with a Hikvision dvr and would give me those features but I haven’t been able to find that yet.
That’s what brought me back here :)

Thanks again!
No the features you want are built into the hikvision cameras not the NVR....you have learned the hard way about buying junk from ali...

Aajjoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No the features you want are built into the hikvision cameras not the NVR....you have learned the hard way about buying junk from ali...
Straight forward answer to my question, appreciated.

Could you recommend what I should get instead?

Thanks

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Aajjoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks!
BlueIris looks pretty sweet but as the house is empty inbetween November-March, a NVR (for some reason) feels like a more reliable solution.

I’ll have a look in to your other recommendations.

I forgot to mention two cameras will be vertically wall mounted overlooking large areas (about 50x50 feet) , so my guess is that bullets are more usable there?
I have one camera overlooking the entrance/porch and some parts of the lawn from the side, I was thinking about up putting a motorized ptz camera there in order to cover a larger part of the front lawn as well as the porch and entrance.

Thanks again!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I forgot to mention two cameras will be vertically wall mounted overlooking large areas (about 50x50 feet) , so my guess is that bullets are more usable there?..
Hi Aajjoo,

Regarding form factor, imho
Either bullet or turrets are fine provided you've got a good setup to keep the rain / snow out and the connections dry.

Here's an example of a great junction box for a Dahua Bullet which helps with that PFA121, and for Turrets there is a new junction box PFA130-E
also there is a wall mount for the turrets which work nicely PFB203W

Hikvision will also have junction boxes and wall mounts for their cameras.

PFA130-E - Dahua Technology
PFB203W | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology