New Member - Got my Cameras and now onto Home Security~!

Discussion in 'Alarm & Security Systems' started by dlouly76, Jan 12, 2016.

Share This Page

1. dlouly76

dlouly76 n3wb

Hi All

I just bought 7 Ip cams and its on the way! Now I am onto home security. I bought a house with it pre-wired and have a Vista 20SE. I read that this system is pretty old so I ordered just today the Vista 20P and a 6160 keypad. I plan to try to get a Smartthings Hub and the Amazon echo. I read I may need the ENVL-3 or 4 to do this.

Am I on the right track or do you suggest another system? Id like automation and voice control. Id also like to be able to remotely view status of my alarm and control it. I do not need monitoring services. I work in IT so any customization and programming would be a fun thing I wouldnt mind.

Any advice or suggestions as you may have already been where I am and if you were to do it again what would it be? e

Thanks in Advance!

2. blake

blake Getting the hang of it

Just a question, why do you want an alarm that isn't monitored? Self monitoring only adds another level of delay between you and the proper responce needed for the situation.

3. GBot

GBot n3wb

To add to the previous comment, my monitored system communicates with the monitoring company via GSM (add-on hardware for another $300 plus monthly fee). I don't have to worry about internet going down, and if I need emergency services I need them immediately. To each his own. Sorry for not answering your question.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

4. dlouly76

dlouly76 n3wb

For now I just wanted an alarm to let me know if there any intruders. I'll have to handle the situation when it arises and any alarm is better than none. Just got the house and trying not to go into any contracts.

5. blake

I understand about the contracts. Now alarm companies are going month to month like alarm.com or a minimum of 1 year. I do 1 year contracting.

6. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

Ironically they will probably respond faster if the homeowner calls vs the central station, the problem is the homeowner cannot always be at the phone. Central station calls are give low priority and response times can be 30-60 minuets. Monitoring can be had for as less than 10 dollars a month (landline) or about 20 a month via gsm with NO contract.

7. blake

The response isn't really faster because all of the criteria still has to be met for dispatch to occur. the difference is the verification of an actual crime. More and more states are going toward video, visual and or voice verification before dispatch can happen.

8. blake

I recommend at least one interior cam for this purpose that has a microphone and speaker such as the hik 2432.

9. GBot

GBot n3wb

Actually I forgot that I had bookmarked this product. It plugs into your control panel and gives your security system an Ethernet port which you hook up to your home network and control by smartphone. If you get it or someone else can comment on it I'd be interested. Hard to deny that my current setup is costly and I'd like to save some cash if there's a viable solution for the more tech savvy among us.
    EYEZ-ON EVL-3 - Envisalink Internet Alert Module for DSC & Honeywell Security https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EI69TAY/

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

10. dlouly76

dlouly76 n3wb

I actually have 7 cameras coming from milkisbad and one of them is in fact a Hik2432 :)

11. dlouly76

dlouly76 n3wb

Yea this is my plan however there is a new version of it :) - I will get it and report back after some tinkering.
    http://www.amazon.com/Envisalink-EVL-4-Internet-Powerseries-Honeywell/dp/B016R0BXAC/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1452753611&sr=1-2&keywords=EVL-4

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2016
  12. blake

That is a good module. Just think about having two forms of communicators. Internet monitoring is not as stable a platform as cellular.

13. MartyO

MartyO Banned

Where is the recommended camera(s) placement, are they triggered to start recording off alarm system. I thought only the Kardashians liked having recording their interior actions.

14. blake

The camera placement is based on positive field of view. What path would the criminal need to pass.

15. MartyO

MartyO Banned

That I think means more than one camera, just like homes usually have more than one motion sensor and more than one door sensor. How many cameras are needed?

16. wcrowder

wcrowder Getting the hang of it

Well, that is simple to answer. Alarm is triggered in house buy a bugler, Alarm company notifies your local police, police officer drives by the house sees nothing suspicious calls dispatch reports every-things OK 10-8. Burglar watches the officer drive away... You come home and that fancy blanket you've been working on for 2 years is gone. Next week you see it on E-Bay. :) You complain to the Alarm company, Alarm company blames police, police blame 20,000 houses with cats and motion detectors...

Alarm goes off, I get text on phone. I look at cameras.... Burglar, I call police, the OFFICER ACTUALLY gets out of the CAR!!! An actual home owner called.

17. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Young grasshopper

In the perfect world, Alarm goes off, security company checks your cameras, calls the police, monitors the cameras and points the police to where the intruder is hiding. But then I guess this probably doesn't come at $10 a month.

18. blake

Thats not how it works. Alarm is tripped, monitoring company's calls person's listed on call list in call order first. Depending on what the person that they contact wants to do is what the monitoring company does unless the alarm is a panic trigger then there is immediate dispatch first.

19. blake

Also home insurance companies DO NOT recognize self monitoring.

20. wcrowder

wcrowder Getting the hang of it

Mine does... Most do, have you asked? And the story I told above was ADT. :)

21. blake

The last installer meeting I had, I was informed that if the home owner is doing self monitoring ( the alarm calls or dials them and they are not using a UL certified monitoring station, the insurance company will not offer the 10% insurance discount. I should of clarified sorry. If your's does then you are one of the fortunate ones.

22. blake

We all know ADT is the WORST!!!!! They have smart business managers that prey on the uneducated.

23. Larebear

Larebear Pulling my weight

My home owners insurance only gives the discount if the alarm system is monitored. They required a copy of the paperwork confirming it. I'm with Alarm Relay which is fantastic and low priced. They call me instantly even if it's a low battery on one of the sensors. Been with them for several years and also have my Mom's house monitored through them.

24. blake

That's what I was tracking as the industry standard. Before I started my own company, I used Alarm Relay and yes they where great.

25. Larebear

Larebear Pulling my weight

My Mom was paying $48 a month with ADT. I installed a Visonic wireless system for her and signed her up with Alarm Relay. Now she pays approx $10 a month.

26. blake

Yeah I offer low cost monitoring also. ADT, AT&T, Brinks, Vivint are all crooks!

27. dlouly76

dlouly76 n3wb

Ok I wanted to start the installation of my cameras today and looking at the house I just bought its a little complex. its a two story and no underneath crawl space. It does have an attic and since its a 2 story it only covers the top of the second floor and my first floor area comes out further then the second floor. Its going to be tuff to run a cable out to underneath the eaves of the first floor. Does anyone have any tips I can use? How much is professional wiring rates? I bought the tools to do the job already but doesnt look like an easy job. I am contemplating instead of running cable to the 4 corners of my house from the attic down then attempt to come out on each corner under the eaves to perhaps come out of the attic under the eaves of the 2nd story and run conduit down to the first floor under eaves and run conduit underneath the eaves.

Another idea is a remote weatherproof box housing a wireless bridge and a POE Switch.....not sure if thats enough bandwith going through wireless. I have 6 - 4mp 1080p cameras and one 3mp 1080p from Hikvision.....

28. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

forget about wireless. Look for low voltage installers..should be roughly 100 per drop. They can do it nice and clean with no exterior conduit.

29. Kawboy12R

Kawboy12R Getting comfortable

I had an extremely cute girl trying to get me to switch to Vivint a couple of days ago. She didn't look like a crook. :) She was offering free hardware with wireless cameras too. I told her to look up at my front door cam and smile. I thanked her and declined.

30. blake

Yeah Vivint is known for harassing folks with soliciting in neighborhoods.