New member help with camera types, number and placement

duude

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey all, I've read various threads on here and was wondering if any would be willing to help with placement and types of cameras for a full 360 coverage. Here are a few pics of the property with some sizes in feet to get an idea of the scale. I'm interested in good res cameras with some zoom capability. There will be a pool in the backyard so maybe it makes sense to put a PTZ somewhere back there? I'll be using Blue Iris most likely if it matters. Thanks in advance!
IMG_2736 - Copy.JPG IMG_2582 - Copy.jpg IMG_2581 - Copy.JPG

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all, I've read various threads on here and was wondering if any would be willing to help with placement and types of cameras for a full 360 coverage. ..
Welcome Duude

Since you have a larger house and are looking for a full 360 plan for a 16-24 port PoE switch.

Definitely start your planning with the cameras looney2ns lists.

Also remember we've got some good notes here ( look at the end of the thread for the link ):
Resource Guide on IP Technology for all Noobs

duude

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your help with this, I've looked through the documents and they are super helpful. A couple of questions I'm not clear on. If you use the IPVM camera calculator, do you increase the PPF to see what the overall coverage is and then scale back to the 100 to determine at which point you can make out of face? So if i'm putting cameras on the various corners of the house, i'm trying to see what the best way to get the 360 coverage is and that is how I thought to do it. Regarding the POE looks like i'll get a max distance of about ~315 feet before you would need another switch. It is typical to install this switch in a more central location in an attic? If my initial switch is in the basement, and I have to run the poe into the eve's of of the top level, i'm looking at some serious distances...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for your help with this, I've looked through the documents and they are super helpful. A couple of questions I'm not clear on. If you use the IPVM camera calculator, do you increase the PPF to see what the overall coverage is and then scale back to the 100 to determine at which point you can make out of face? So if i'm putting cameras on the various corners of the house, i'm trying to see what the best way to get the 360 coverage is and that is how I thought to do it. Regarding the POE looks like i'll get a max distance of about ~315 feet before you would need another switch. It is typical to install this switch in a more central location in an attic? If my initial switch is in the basement, and I have to run the poe into the eve's of of the top level, i'm looking at some serious distances...
Hi Duude,

Remember, if you want to use the cameras to potentially ID suspects they will need to be placed 8 feet high or lower. ( so maybe wiring in the basement to the wall and then up the wall )

1) The spec for ethernet is 100M - if you've got good cabling and connections you may be able to get a bit more.
2) Cat6 wires a bit thicker and the twist better to resist interference, and thus may give you a slight edge vs. Cat5e.
3) You can indeed install an intermediate switch to carry the lines further.
4) Dahua has new ePoE cameras ( and NVRs which should be out now ) - to carry the lines out to 800M iirc - of course the further out you go, you'll have reduced signal. ( Andy should be able to provide the new ePoE cameras and NVRs )

For most homes you should be able to place the equipment to use standard IP PoE equipment, and for longer runs you can easily use another PoE switch to extend the run.

If you plan to place equipment in the attic - find a way to make a enclosure which is well vented and temp remains < 80 degrees F. ( in general most people try to avoid placing equipment in the attics due to the extra work to make such an enclosure )

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't install any electronics in the attic, they should be in a semi conditioned space. Or in a garage that doesn't get too hot in the summer.