New Member here and to the surveillance world.

LBX

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all. The title of my post says it all.

Background: I'm very comfortable using a desktop and installing a HD when needed, but when it comes to the intricacies of "networks" that is above my pay grade; however, I'm willing to learn if it's needed to setup my system.

Reason for a system: The family oriented neighborhood has noticed increased crimes such as theft of outside property and auto theft. The icing on the cake for our corner home was we were watching TV in the family room on a recent Saturday afternoon when I saw someone in our gated side yard....I confronted the person and they rushed off.

Reason the system I chose: One thing I learned from this forum is that there is not 1 perfect camera. But with the help of viewing many youtube videos and researching, I decided on a system that has better capability of night video that captures color, but knowing that outside lighting plays an important role.

Why this forum: I did a google search on surveillance system forums and this was listed. After navigating the forum it was clear to me that ya'll know your stuff. Coincidentally, the many youtube videos come from one of your existing members who mentioned this site as well.

System which is on it's way: NVR5208-8P-4KS2E, IPC-T5442TM-AS 4MP, IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP varifocal from "Andy". Will be purchasing a 8TB HD and Cat6 ethernet cables this weekend.

The NVR has a vga and hmdi ports. I plan on using the vga port for the 1080p monitor (2 ft away from NVR) and the hdmi port for the Samsung 4K tv (45ft away from NVR).
1) Can I view live feed from both ports simultaneously?
2) Due to the distance from the NVR to the TV it appears I should use an ACTIVE hdmi. Is this correct? And I learned that active HDMI cables draw power from the source (NVR).....is that okay to do to the NVR?

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hey bud. Don’t have much in the way in input but I was curious to how your purchase and set up worked out?

QUOTE="LBX, post: 400124, member: 87807"]
Hello all. The title of my post says it all.

Background: I'm very comfortable using a desktop and installing a HD when needed, but when it comes to the intricacies of "networks" that is above my pay grade; however, I'm willing to learn if it's needed to setup my system.

Reason for a system: The family oriented neighborhood has noticed increased crimes such as theft of outside property and auto theft. The icing on the cake for our corner home was we were watching TV in the family room on a recent Saturday afternoon when I saw someone in our gated side yard....I confronted the person and they rushed off.

Reason the system I chose: One thing I learned from this forum is that there is not 1 perfect camera. But with the help of viewing many youtube videos and researching, I decided on a system that has better capability of night video that captures color, but knowing that outside lighting plays an important role.

Why this forum: I did a google search on surveillance system forums and this was listed. After navigating the forum it was clear to me that ya'll know your stuff. Coincidentally, the many youtube videos come from one of your existing members who mentioned this site as well.

System which is on it's way: NVR5208-8P-4KS2E, IPC-T5442TM-AS 4MP, IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP varifocal from "Andy". Will be purchasing a 8TB HD and Cat6 ethernet cables this weekend.

The NVR has a vga and hmdi ports. I plan on using the vga port for the 1080p monitor (2 ft away from NVR) and the hdmi port for the Samsung 4K tv (45ft away from NVR).
1) Can I view live feed from both ports simultaneously?
2) Due to the distance from the NVR to the TV it appears I should use an ACTIVE hdmi. Is this correct? And I learned that active HDMI cables draw power from the source (NVR).....is that okay to do to the NVR?

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance.
[/QUOTE]

LBX

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there. I received the equipment last week. I have to make time to run the lines and setup everything up. Hopefully in the next few days I can at least test everything.

Reaction score
Ok thanks. I was going to purchase a similar set up as yours but just don’t know if I have enough knowledge if something doesn’t go like it’s supposed to. I found a company called bhp video that sells hickvision I thought about calling them today and get some input from them. Please let me know how setup went when you get it complete. Thank you.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are off to a good start.

a few things
1) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
2) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
3) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
4) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.