New member introduction

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Greetings,

Just to say 'hello' to you all :)

I am currently assembling the kit to start a Blue Iris CCTV installation.

I have bought a Dell 5040 (i7, 6700),8Gb, 128GB SSD, Win 10 Pro) as a host machine. 16-port Linksys POE Gigabit switch, a secondary Fritz!box 3490 to extend my domestic wifi, the parts to build a domestic 14U cabinet, 24-port Cat6 patch panel (Cat6 keystones) and a few other parts (wifi keyboard , wifi mouse, hdmi lead to output to tv, etc..)

I'm going to be wiring my IP cameras & network to Cat6 standard by way of future proofing - Cat5e may be adequate but a Cat6 GBE allows for plenty of spare bandwidth.

Initially I will be running 8 cameras but I'm allowing to use the 3 spare 100/1000 ports on each 3490 via injectors to add up to another 6 cameras - and possibly another 8Gb RAM - making 14 cams in total

Storage will be on a local 4 - 6 Tb hard drive, either USB or NAS

I look forward to actively joining the forum, picking peoples brains whilst I learn & helping others wehn I know what I'm doing

Hello form the UK - any guidance or suggestions will be more than welcome

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And if you're new to CAT-6, it can be a tad harder the first few times than CAT-5e, so try these tips here.

Also, if done improperly, and you may already be aware of this, you can lose the benefits of CAT-6 over 5e.

Last edited:

pogsphil

n3wb
Reaction score
Kidapawan city, north Cotabato Phillipines
Good day, i just need your expertise guys, i forgot the username account and password in of my cloud online in hikvision dvr. i cannot retrieve it. then if i try to add in new account the server give a word that the dvr is added to the another account.