New Member looking for some 101 direction. I thought 3MP would give me a great image.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi,
New here...Don't know much about IP cameras and NVRs, read a few reviews, bought a Sam's Club QSee system. 3MP cameras...and not terribly impressed.
So now I'm off to educate myself to try and determine if maybe this is the best I can do with my budget ($1,000-$1,500) or if there is better stuff out there.

I'll be coming through the forum but was hoping to find some decent beginner 101 threads or links to such information.

A Few questions I'm searching for answers to:
1) Are megapixels not really the best indicator of a quality image?
I thought 3MP would give me a great image and detail when (digitally) zoomed...it does not look all that amazing or much better than the display 720 or 960 images in the stores.
I see cameras with much lower resolution costing more?

2) Is QSee in general decent or not considered reliable for cameras or NVRs?

3) Could I build a better system with what I really need for the same or less than what I paid for the QSee?
I bought this system for just under $1,000 when it was on Black Friday sale...
8 - QTN8037B 3MP F1.2, 3.6mm IP Bullet Cameras 1 -QT8516-NVR - 2TB, 8 POE ports

https://m.samsclub.com/ip/q-see-16-channel-1080p-hd-security-system-with-2tb-hard-drive-8-1080p-bullet-cameras-and-100-night-vision/prod19020549)

4) I was expecting to be able to capture and read license plates on cars going by the camera (like they show in their examples) but it is not at all possible in day or night. (I have one camera mounted near the street so it gets a good close view of cars going by at about 20-30mph...but can't read anything.)

If anyone can point me in the right direction or offer some links for good reading up on this or can offer any initial suggestions, I'd really appreciate it....before my return policy is up for this setup! :)

Thanks,
Nick B

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Re: New Member looking for some 101 direction. I thought 3MP would give me a great im

Welcome to the forum Nick...the guys here will help you get this sorted out...

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Re: New Member looking for some 101 direction. I thought 3MP would give me a great im

Solid quality for ID purposes and LPR are two totally different beasts.

A camera that is dedicated to LPR requires custom settings and it will not be any good for anything other than LPR. Personally, when you get into "custom" situations like it sounds like you have you are normally better to build a system with cameras specific to what you are trying to accomplish for each location, normally "off the shelf" systems don't allow for this.

If you search license plate reading you should be able to locate a few OP's that can assist a little, but honestly with your setup you will be pressed to accomplish what you want. Also 3mp is a weird image sensor - typically you are better to go with 2mp or 3mp especially when it comes to IR/night vision as those sensors offer less noise. You are correct in your thoughts of more MP means bigger picture - which does allow you to digitally zoom on an image capture/export after the fact to see more detail.

A comparable system with private label HIK cams 4mp range with 8poe nvr would run you around $1040 with no HD (your choice of bullet, dome, or turret cameras 2.8 or 4mm lenses)

A comparable system in the 2mp range would be 900

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Positioning cameras for face recognition...

I went to all kinds of trouble when I got my first set of IP cams to mount them way up high, assuming that the comprehensive "aerial" view from overhead looking down onto my porch—and another across my patio— was the best way to see as much as possible. Eventually I realized that I couldn't even identify the mailman's face in the recordings if he was wearing a simple baseball cap. When I got new cams I put them down at eye level so now I'm looking right into people's face. There's sort of a security issue with having them low enough to grab. I have the one monitoring the front porch mounted back behind a hedge of cactus and other sticky, stabbing plants next to the house. But, if someone really wanted to get their hands on it, I guess they could. Hopefully I would have good video recorded by the time they could run away with it.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Thanks

"3mp is a weird image sensor"

Not sure what that means...should I gofor a 2 or 4MP but not a 3MP for some reason?

I'm still trying to find out \ understand if more megapixels actually = better video \ photo snapshot...I see very expensive cameras out there that are 720P and cheap ones that are 2-3MP, so it is a bit confusing and clearly there is more involved as IMO these 3MP videos or snapshots don't look anywhere near whet I was expecting in quality or clarity especially whenusing the IR night vision.
What am I missing there?

My primary use is to watch the house entry points and acouple looking out at the yard. From what I've been reading,sounds like even these high MP cameras, when pointed at ayard will show me "someone" passing throughbutprobably notlet me ID who unfortunately...or is it jus the cameras at the pricepoint I have I guess? I wish these could be more useful somehow.

Most will be hunge under eves and lower pointed at entries to try to get facial recognition.

With regard to the LPR, That is on my "nice to have" list. Thought I would put one near the mailbox just to capture any vehicles going by. The only licence plate I can see well though is the mailman when pulling away at 5 MPH right next to the mailbox box \ camera during daylight.
A very few cars I've been able to read driving by during the day.
So, outside of a $1k+ LPR specific camera,I'm hoping to find some insight or advice on how to either adjust my current camera to do a better job or to buy something that will for not a lot.

Also really interested in at least one nice PTZ with optical zoom.
Anyone have recommendations there?

I'll be scouring the site and others as maybe this intro section is not the port place to go into so much detail.

But I was hoping someone could save me a little time with some advice or links to some good reading while I also research on my own.

Any direction is appreciated!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

I'm still trying to find out \ understand if more megapixels actually = better video \ photo snapshot...I see very expensive cameras out there that are 720P and cheap ones that are 2-3MP, so it is a bit confusing and clearly there is more involved as IMO these 3MP videos or snapshots don't look anywhere near whet I was expecting in quality or clarity especially whenusing the IR night vision.
What am I missing there?
You are missing this point. http://www.cnet.com/news/htc-explains-why-4-megapixels-are-better-than-8/
On hikvision, the 2mp will have better nightvision than the 3mp..they 4mp will also have improved nightvision (they made some other changes), but 2mp will be better.
You dont need a 1000 dollar lpr camera. You need a 100 dollar camera dedicated to lpr. There are several threads that discuss setting up a 100 dollar hikvision for lpr.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Thanks...So how do I "dedicate a camera to LPR" that is $100? I am seeing a lot of "LPR" cameras on AliExpress, (never ordered anything from there before, just found it form some other posts).
Should I get a cheap LPR specicic or is there a way to adjust any camera for LPR? (The cameras that came with my current NVR setup are QSee QTN8037B 3MP).

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score

If you are not impressed with Qsee(Dahua), you will not be impressed with Hikvision(LTS) IQ, at least in their budget line. (they do have very expensive cams with nice IQ) I am slowly replacing all my outdoor 3MP / 4MP Hikvision cams with unreliable-no warranty-unknown-Chinese cams that offer much better night IQ and more features. Also, check Huisun thread about using it as LPR cam.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Thanks...So how do I "dedicate a camera to LPR" that is $100? I am seeing a lot of "LPR" cameras on AliExpress, (never ordered anything from there before, just found it form some other posts).
Should I get a cheap LPR specicic or is there a way to adjust any camera for LPR? (The cameras that came with my current NVR setup are QSee QTN8037B 3MP).
Dont buy a dedicated lpr camera...there are a bunch of threads on how to set standard hikvision cameras so they pickup plates - you will need a varifocal camera or select the proper focal length. There are also threads on the huisun PTZ cams though they have no proven track record, but the zoom is a nice feature to have in an lpr as you can easily set it just right.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

If you are not impressed with Qsee(Dahua), you will not be impressed with Hikvision(LTS) IQ, at least in their budget line. (they do have very expensive cams with nice IQ) I am slowly replacing all my outdoor 3MP / 4MP Hikvision cams with unreliable-no warranty-unknown-Chinese cams that offer much better night IQ and more features. Also, check Huisun thread about using it as LPR cam.
I don't have the time or money to be messing with and or eventually replacing unreliable, unknown types.
But I do have an OK budget, so any recommendations on good quality cameras options that would have better IQ than what I am seeing on these QSEE 3MPs?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score

I don't have the time or money to be messing with and or eventually replacing unreliable, unknown types.
But I do have an OK budget, so any recommendations on good quality cameras options that would have better IQ than what I am seeing on these QSEE 3MPs?
You could try newer Hikvision 4MP, I found them to be slightly better then older 3MP, although I ended up replacing all my new Hikvision 4MP domes with Huisun 2MP. Unfortunately, currently there are no good options with known brands, be prepared to spend $600+ to get better sensor technology in those.

MacNCheese

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

A slight hijack on the thread here, but what is the obsession with reading licence plates? I'm assuming that people are reading every licence plate of cars coming and going from their street? Do thieves in the US drive up to peoples houses in their own cars and load them up?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

A slight hijack on the thread here, but what is the obsession with reading licence plates? I'm assuming that people are reading every licence plate of cars coming and going from their street? Do thieves in the US drive up to peoples houses in their own cars and load them up?
Actually...yes. happens all the time...people pretend to be delivery drivers or what not, walk up, ring..o answer...break in...but it is typical to do several drive bys prior.

I'm in a gated subdivision and we still manage to get strangers in somehow lurking about.
2 separate groups of criminals a few streets over last month hit around 8 homes in the middle of the day over the couse of a few weeks and I'm in a "safe" part of town.
A lot of us are more rural, meaning homes may sit on 1-20 acres of land with some distan in between out here where I am...so if a criminal finds no one home, they could spend the day if they wanted and who would know.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

You could try newer Hikvision 4MP, I found them to be slightly better then older 3MP, although I ended up replacing all my new Hikvision 4MP domes with Huisun 2MP. Unfortunately, currently there are no good options with known brands, be prepared to spend $600+ to get better sensor technology in those.
$600 to get better quality than a Hikvision mp or huisun turrets?...nothing in between low price low quality and rediculous price good quality out there?

MacNCheese

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Our criminals in New Zealand tend to be unsophisticated and are on foot. Usually they just take what they can fit in bags.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score

$600 to get better quality than a Hikvision mp or huisun turrets?...nothing in between low price low quality and rediculous price good quality out there?
I am not aware of anything else in between from Hikvision. Maybe someone else knows more about other brands such as Dahua. There is lightfigher" series from Hikvision that seems to be in $400 range that use 1/2.8 sensor, but that's still too much for me. I don't want to spend more then $200 per cam.

http://overseas.hikvision.com/en/products_507.html

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Look at the 2mp hikvision WD cams. They are a good mix of day/night image. Otherwise pay more, or take the risk on a cheaper camera.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

thanks
I'm willing to pay a little more but don't know what quality options there are out there for "more".
Don't want to pay more just because someone is selling it for more without a little product knowledge.
It seems like most of what I have found on this site is focused on HikVision or Huisun and best bang for the buck vs actual best quality and backing into affordability from there.

Nothing wrong with finding the best bang for the buck, mind you, so no insult intended.
Just saying I'm having a hard time identifying better quality cameras at a higher prices to read up on, as I'm not finding much discussion or review of such items on this site so far.