New Member Noob Questions- OEMs and Searching the forum

jdmettler

n3wb
Reaction score
I've installed a couple systems now and just discovered this site. The wealth of information here is amazing but I'm having a little trouble searching the site often getting a "no results found" response. So if someone could point me towards the right threads that'd be great.

Looking for the best places to buy cameras, I've just been buying them on amazon and have had zero problems but are the better places to buy the brands the brands that are discussed here? There doesn't seem to be alot of the models talked about here on amazon.

So far I've used amcrest and reolink and had no issuses but I bought one called a Sunba and it worked fine but the software seemed pretty scetchy. I can see from looking around here that these must all be rebrands of some other manufacturer but with different firmware? Is the best practice just to stick to these main brands?

I've been looking at an Amcrest PTZ on amazon that my friend wants to use and from what I can find Amcrest=Foscam but I can't find the model number for the Foscam version is anyone familiar with the IP2M-853EW?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've installed a couple systems now and just discovered this site. The wealth of information here is amazing but I'm having a little trouble searching the site often getting a "no results found" response. So if someone could point me towards the right threads that'd be great.

Looking for the best places to buy cameras, I've just been buying them on amazon and have had zero problems but are the better places to buy the brands the brands that are discussed here? There doesn't seem to be alot of the models talked about here on amazon.

So far I've used amcrest and reolink and had no issuses but I bought one called a Sunba and it worked fine but the software seemed pretty scetchy. I can see from looking around here that these must all be rebrands of some other manufacturer but with different firmware? Is the best practice just to stick to these main brands?

I've been looking at an Amcrest PTZ on amazon that my friend wants to use and from what I can find Amcrest=Foscam but I can't find the model number for the Foscam version is anyone familiar with the IP2M-853EW?
Welcome jdmettler,

You want to check out the notes that giomania has compiled from numerous forum members who have shared their knowledge and experience here:
( which tangent just posted as I typed this.. ;-)
IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk

Amcrest folks were foscam USA at one point, but no longer... Amcrest now uses Dahua as their OEM

Unless you're getting a killer deal from Amcrest you will want to see what you can get in a Dahua OEM international model ( look for Andy @EMPIRETECANDY here - our recommended source for Dahua OEM international models )

In general the consensus here is unfavorable about Reolink ( numerous issues including astroturfing and software engineering quality )

Dahua OEM or Hikvision OEM are preferred for their value and quality. Many of us recently have gone with Dahua OEM products due to Dahua beating Hikvision to the market with low light cameras they branded "starlight", so you will want to see what is offered on those models. ( 2MP, but best value for low light cameras )

All of these security cameras have IT security issues, thus do look at the VPN and security notes.

jdmettler

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help!

The amount of information here is crazy, I'll make sure to check out the security notes.