New Member - Seeking advice on a PC/Camera/IPVMS

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been reading this forum for a while and decided I should join.

I'm a fairly savvy user and techie but am not up to speed on the most cost effective yet reliable ways to implement what I'd like to do. I've done some commercial installations but those were different because I had a lot more budget to work with.

Here is what I'm looking to accomplish:

1) PC based "server" to run a VMS software
2) IP POE cameras that can work with most VMS systems so I'm not stuck with one company if I change my mind on VMS.
3) Cameras that are reliable because I don't want to be messing with them often due to issues / failures.

I've got 8 total positions wired at my property and would like decent picture at night. I don't need PTZ on any of them.

Here is what I'm thinking about purchasing:

1) PC - I've found some decent prices on Amazon for a refurbished HP tower, Core I7, 16GB ram, 2TB hard drive and an SSD for the OS. Seems like about $400 does it. I'll also be buying a POE managed switch.

2) Cameras - from reading on here it seems the dahau are a good budget buy. I'm also looking at Digital Watchdog's cameras because a friend has used them and the quality seems quite good, though they are a step up in cost compared to the Dahua options. I'm not sure if it is worth the cost.

3) VMS - I didn't know about BlueIris until I found this forum. It is very attractive for the price. Especially when you consider DW Spectrum and many other VMS' require per camera licenses.

I have searched a bit but with so much content it is hard to get a good feel for where I may need to go with this. I don't want to spend more than is needed but I also don't want a system that is going to become a headache.

For Dahua and Hikvision cameras - is Amazon the best place to purchase them?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF i7-4770 3.40Ghz 16GB RAM 2TB HDD 240GB SSD Win 10 Pro (Certified Refurbished)
IMO that machine will serve you well, but I wouldn't pay any more than $400.00 for it. In addition, IMO you don't need a managed POE switch; an un-managed switch will suite you fine.

Reaction score
IMO that machine will serve you well, but I wouldn't pay any more than $400.00 for it. In addition, IMO you don't need a managed POE switch; an un-managed switch will suite you fine.
Thanks for your guidance. Do you have any recommendations for a better option for a similar price point?

What about the cameras. What do you recommend?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On the Dahua cameras stick with the starlight cameras if they are outside and you need night coverage. Use the turret camera, the bullet and dome cameras do have problems.
Also look at the Hikvision dark fighter cameras.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What about the cameras. What do you recommend?
I -- as will many others here -- will recommend Dauhua 2MP "Starlight" branded cameras. But you should understand that camera PLACEMENT is of equal importance. This has been asked: "Do you want to see what happened, or who did it?" Place a good 2.8mm camera 20-feet up and you'll see your entire back yard...but if a bad guy jumps you fence you will never be able to see his face to identify him. Alternatively, mount the same cameras with 6mm lenses on each corner your house at eye level (a "choke point" if you will, where all must pass) and you'll be able to ID everyone who walks past each camera...but you'll only see a narrow corridor in the field of view. One option is good for "what happened" and the other is good for "who did it." HOWEVER, such a "dual use case" will increase your cost dramatically as more cameras will be required for see both "what happened" and "who did it."
Thanks for your guidance. Do you have any recommendations for a better option for a similar price point?
I'm running i7-6700 CPUs for a smidge more (10%?) processing power over the i7-4770, but I don't know if you'll be successful in finding such a system at a comparable price and -- in the end -- it's most likely not a big variance at all.

There are a lot of guys here who'll know a lot more than I about processor performance...maybe one of them will chime in.

Intel Core i7-4770K @ 3.50GHz > 10,087 benchmark
Intel Core i7-4770 @ 3.40GHz > 9,786 benchmark
Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz > 11,107 specmark
Intel Core i7-6700 @ 3.40GHz > 10,005 specmark

Reaction score
Maybe it's me but the Dahua website is difficult to use. I can't tell which cameras are "starlight" and which are not. Searching google doesn't give me an obvious choice for purchasing them either.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been reading this forum for a while and decided I should join.

I'm a fairly savvy user and techie but am not up to speed on the most cost effective yet reliable ways to implement what I'd like to do. I've done some commercial installations but those were different because I had a lot more budget to work with.

Here is what I'm looking to accomplish:

1) PC based "server" to run a VMS software
2) IP POE cameras that can work with most VMS systems so I'm not stuck with one company if I change my mind on VMS.
3) Cameras that are reliable because I don't want to be messing with them often due to issues / failures.

I've got 8 total positions wired at my property and would like decent picture at night. I don't need PTZ on any of them.

Here is what I'm thinking about purchasing:

1) PC - I've found some decent prices on Amazon for a refurbished HP tower, Core I7, 16GB ram, 2TB hard drive and an SSD for the OS. Seems like about $400 does it. I'll also be buying a POE managed switch.

2) Cameras - from reading on here it seems the dahau are a good budget buy. I'm also looking at Digital Watchdog's cameras because a friend has used them and the quality seems quite good, though they are a step up in cost compared to the Dahua options. I'm not sure if it is worth the cost.

3) VMS - I didn't know about BlueIris until I found this forum. It is very attractive for the price. Especially when you consider DW Spectrum and many other VMS' require per camera licenses.

I have searched a bit but with so much content it is hard to get a good feel for where I may need to go with this. I don't want to spend more than is needed but I also don't want a system that is going to become a headache.

For Dahua and Hikvision cameras - is Amazon the best place to purchase them?

Please let me know your thoughts.
Overpriced IMHO $200 shipped: HP Elitedesk 800 G1 SFF i7-4770 3.4GHz 8GB RAM 128GB SSD Windows 10 Pro | eBay

From a real computer and monitor, study this> Cliff Notes
Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk
Andy's store's: Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com and EmpireTech Andy

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.