Reaction score
Great to be here finally, was a chore to register, I am interested in knowing and accessing Dahua info, found Andy @Empiretech to be great as he is there to answer questions, with this new tech one cant stay on top of it.
Am looking for info re 2MP starlight, as want to have good nite surveilance as we have rotten neighbors that don't like our garden we live in Arizona and it is nice to have trees and greenery they don't like the wild birds that come to eat. what a complaint right? so any suggestions please, looking at N24CG52 turret fixed. any tips appreciated thanks

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
--------------------------------
Read, study,plan before spending money
---------------------------
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3
16) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
IPC-T2347G-LU Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
N22AL12 New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry

Other dahua 4MP starlight Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Before asking a question search the forum first...
The best way to search the forum is to use Google Advance search
set site or domain to ipcamtalk.com

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
if you are interested in International Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua (and some Hikvision) and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
you can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store. The cameras are fully upgradable, he posts upgarde software when available.

Andy
@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: EmpireTech Andy
Andy's AliExpress store: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress
Andy's Amazon store: EmpireTech-Andy @ Amazon.com:
forum: EmpireTech Andy
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello donttreadonme, Varifocal cameras are useful as you can tune the focus and then leave it. So they have more versatility.

May we ask as what distance do you need to cover up to please?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Great to be here finally, was a chore to register, I am interested in knowing and accessing Dahua info, found Andy @Empiretech to be great as he is there to answer questions, with this new tech one cant stay on top of it.
Am looking for info re 2MP starlight, as want to have good nite surveilance as we have rotten neighbors that don't like our garden we live in Arizona and it is nice to have trees and greenery they don't like the wild birds that come to eat. what a complaint right? so any suggestions please, looking at N24CG52 turret fixed. any tips appreciated thanks
Hi @donttreadonme

k175un3 has a good question which will help you decide what model of camera will work better for you.

Look at the DORI info in the cliff notes to understand better on why the question is important.

Reaction score
Hello donttreadonme, Varifocal cameras are useful as you can tune the focus and then leave it. So they have more versatility.

May we ask as what distance do you need to cover up to please?
the distances are all close range, I have some of both that I started with, now it is moving them around to suit, and dial when needed, but looking at some N24CG52 as they seem to be fairly hi end and Starlight to. So that being said what do you know in the range of those I like that are varifocal. Thanks

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Please read and study my previous post. Read the wiki.

Look at PC-T5442TM-AS or IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED i think it is better than the N24CG52. The sensor is bigger. Sensor size and LUX are items to consider.

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
donttreadonme, would you like a microphone or not?

nrnobloe

n3wb
Reaction score
I am a president of a small 32 unit condo association. We have a 16 ip camera Lorex system. It is not great, but is good enough for our needs. The system handles upto 1020p. Currently we only have 5 cameras running. All wired cameras with POE.

I came to this forum looking to solve a couple of problems.

1) Placing cameras in locations that is over 100ft away from the base system.
2) Adding wireless IP cameras to the system.