New modem has same ip as camera network

Todd Schmidt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I just dropped the Comcast modem in favor of my own Netgear CM1000. However, the new modems ip is the same as my camera network 192.168.... is there anything I need to do in order to ensure the cameras have no access to the internet. Apple router is still 10.0.0....

Todd Schmidt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, now I need to reconfigure port forwarding as the Apple will no longer be in bridge mode but acting as my router.

Reaction score
the new modems ip is the same as my camera network 192.168 ... is there anything I need to do in order to ensure the cameras have no access to the internet.
For starters, you are not obligated to continue to use 192.168.0.0/24. In fact, choose any other RFC1918 address space besides that! The 10 space is a good but 172 says this someone who is clearly thinking about network design.

While network segmentation is good, assigning a cam a default gateway IP address that is not really a gateway will prevent it from talking out to the open internet. You can do this one of two ways: DHCP reservation or static assignment. Assuming 172.16.16.0/24 and your default gateway is 172.16.16.1, you would set on your cam a default gateway of 172.16.16.2.

I personally prefer to use DHCP reservations but consumer grade routers tend to have a goofy way of implementing DHCP so static assignments may be more practical from a management point of view.

Todd Schmidt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For starters, you are not obligated to continue to use 192.168.0.0/24. In fact, choose any other RFC1918 address space besides that! The 10 space is a good but 172 says this someone who is clearly thinking about network design.

While network segmentation is good, assigning a cam a default gateway IP address that is not really a gateway will prevent it from talking out to the open internet. You can do this one of two ways: DHCP reservation or static assignment. Assuming 172.16.16.0/24 and your default gateway is 172.16.16.1, you would set on your cam a default gateway of 172.16.16.2.

I personally prefer to use DHCP reservations but consumer grade routers tend to have a goofy way of implementing DHCP so static assignments may be more practical from a management point of view.
So my router (netgear orbi rbk50, ditched the Apple) is 10.0.1.1 address, cameras are on a secondary NIC with 192 addresses. And cable modem has a 192 address but is prior to the router obviously. So am i still relatively safe?

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You can use whatever you want. My main network is on a 10.10. My guest network is on a 172.16. And, all my stuff is on a 192.168.

If you really wanted, your router should have the ability to create VLANs. I set up a separate "Security" VLAN with restrictions so the cameras dont have internet access and the whole Security network doesnt have access to my main network.