New nvr with old hdcvi cams?

Webhito

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there!

First post here, hopefully someone can chip in as I have not been able to get a solid answer yet.

I have a dahua dvr with 7 hdcvi cameras, all of them set up with individual power supplies and bnc connectors at each end.

Since a while back I have had some ghosting in some of the cameras, upon inspection, the end of the cable has some sort of corrosion, the installers used cca cable and it seems no matter how much I cut there is still some rusting so I am planning on running some new cable to all the cameras and maybe upgrade to a newer and larger nvr.

My issue is the following: I would like to keep my current cameras but upgrade to an nvr with a 16 channel poe system. Is there any way, with adapters, where I can power straight from poe to the cameras? This would keep my costs down and can add or swap out to poe cameras in the future.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dan.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi there!

First post here, hopefully someone can chip in as I have not been able to get a solid answer yet.

I have a dahua dvr with 7 hdcvi cameras, all of them set up with individual power supplies and bnc connectors at each end.

Since a while back I have had some ghosting in some of the cameras, upon inspection, the end of the cable has some sort of corrosion, the installers used cca cable and it seems no matter how much I cut there is still some rusting so I am planning on running some new cable to all the cameras and maybe upgrade to a newer and larger nvr.

My issue is the following: I would like to keep my current cameras but upgrade to an nvr with a 16 channel poe system. Is there any way, with adapters, where I can power straight from poe to the cameras? This would keep my costs down and can add or swap out to poe cameras in the future.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dan.
Welcome Dan,

analog coax bnc camera are not compatible with IP POE NVRs.

You would need to look for a DVR/NVR hybrid.

Feel free to share pictures of the problems you are encountering with the cable.

If you run a cat6 cable you can use baluns and keep the current DVR and cameras until you are ready to upgrade. If your cameras are still decent that is the route I would take.

Webhito

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome Dan,

analog coax bnc camera are not compatible with IP POE NVRs.

You would need to look for a DVR/NVR hybrid.

Feel free to share pictures of the problems you are encountering with the cable.

If you run a cat6 cable you can use baluns and keep the current DVR and cameras until you are ready to upgrade. If your cameras are still decent that is the route I would take.
Hi mat200,

Sorry for not specifying my cable, its currently cat5e, but the cheapest stuff you can get your hands on and the ends that have been exposed to the rain are corroded to some point. Mind you, I have swapped out the junction boxes these folks used for much higher quality ones but the ghosting is still there, thus, why I decided to run the cable myself and upgrade to some quality cat5e or cat6.

I will attach a few pictures so you can get an idea of what I am dealing with, I would love to keep the cameras as they are fine, that way I can grab an nvr with more channels and upgrade a few of the cameras to 4k as well, power the cameras directly from the nvr.

Dan.

Exterior Baluns.jpg Baluns.jpgGhosting.JPG

Webhito

n3wb
Reaction score

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi mat200,

Sorry for not specifying my cable, its currently cat5e, but the cheapest stuff you can get your hands on and the ends that have been exposed to the rain are corroded to some point...

Dan.
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the pictures.

Is the cat5e cable coming into the junction box from the top of the box?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, it was, and the junction box was not weather sealed whatsoever. I swapped the boxes as clearly, they were taking in a lot of dust, and water.

Dan.

View attachment 36417
Hi Dan,

Ouch. Thus, another reason why I ended DIY for my setup. I hope you did not hire a "professional" for that job, as clearly they failed to do a quality job on that.

So, take some lessons from the telcom folks...

1) Use quality cables. ( you want UV rated for this job )
2) Do a quality installation job. Bring your exterior running cables up into the bottom of the junction box, install "drip loops", silicone caulk the top and sides - allow any water which gets into the junction box to drip out.

Webhito

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Dan,

Ouch. Thus, another reason why I ended DIY for my setup. I hope you did not hire a "professional" for that job, as clearly they failed to do a quality job on that.

So, take some lessons from the telcom folks...

1) Use quality cables. ( you want UV rated for this job )
2) Do a quality installation job. Bring your exterior running cables up into the bottom of the junction box, install "drip loops", silicone caulk the top and sides - allow any water which gets into the junction box to drip out.
Yea, they were "pro's" 3 months later, the first camera failed, they went in and changed the balun, later both the front failed, same thing. A year later, once the warranty was up, I have been looking at the mess they left, so yea. Working on that. The boxes I used are completely sealed with rubber gromets and a seal for the screw head. I put the cable from the side as it would not reach the bottom, sealed it up with some high tech silicone which dries in moist conditions, or even under water, but yea, no more pro jobs, I am pretty handy with this kind of stuff, but laziness beat me, for the last time lol. I will look up what those drip loops you are refering to, will add them once I run cabling in a few weeks.

Dan.

DSC00230.JPG

Webhito

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, it seems that no, it won't work lol.

Now, one of the reasons I want to go poe is due to the amount of cables and baluns that are next to my dvr. Does anyone have any idea of how I could make it look a little less messy? A junction box won't work since the baluns are too short and I don't think I have seen longer ones either.

You can see the picture on post #4.

Dan.