New PC

gocart879

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all, brand new poster here.

I have been looking through the Blue Iris help file to see what others are using for machines. I have a brand new system with about 27 Hikvision Cameras 4mp, and Blue Iris.

I need to buy a new computer because the older computer that I am using requires me to do a lot of things I dont want to do, so that CPU usage remains low. For example, limit decoding, limit live preview rate and more.

I need to have a monitor displaying live view of about four cameras at one time. I am running BI as a service and have reduced the frame rate to 15. I have a Xeon processor now that I know based on reviews is not good at all.

The computer I plan to buy is an HP Pavilion, with an I7-8700, 16gb DDR4 Ram. SSD for the OS and a 1TB secondary. I am not concerned about storage space because I have a SAN that I can use for extra space.

Will this machine handle what I need ? I dont want to make a 850 dollar mistake to find out that i'm not going to be able to use the cameras in the way that we would like. I am concerned that 16gb of ram wont be enough.

Please let me know, and thank you for this great forum.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
850 for an hp pavillion consumer model is a ripoff..you can buy an HP business elitedesk/prodesk for that with windows pro.
You have a huge load, you should look at the new i9's