New project. Need a little advice, please.

actruck

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I wonder if I might ask for a little advice before I go anyfurther with this project.
We have a seasonal site at a local campground. Our RV staysthere year round but the season only runs for 6 months so I felt the need toinvest in cameras for inside and outside of the site. I have purchased several camerasand a new PC to serve as a BI server.
I have access to Wi-Fi at the campground using 2 UbiquitiNanoStation loco M2 radios. One radio is located at my RV and is connected to aLinksys Wireless Router. The other radio is connected to the router in the CGoffice roughly 350ft away. This setup seems to work well so far.
I would like to connect the cameras to either the router ora switch in my RV. I have a new PC which will serve as the BI server only. I haven’tpurchased the BI software yet. I wanted to make sure this is the router Ineeded to go first.
I have a small 400VA UPS now but plan to buy a larger one ata later date.
Here’s the equipment I have to date. I bought the “wireless” cameras before researchingthis site. They will be connected to the router/switch using either a cat5cable or a POE. I also have the ac power adapters if I need them.
(2) Hikvision DS-2CD2032F-IW cameras (Plan to add two more at a later date)
(1) HikvisionDS-2CD2432F-IW camera.
Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router
(1) WS-POE-8-48v60w passive Power Over Ethernet POE Injector
Several 4 and 8 port switches.

My goal is to have the cameras record to disk on the PC andpossibly be able to view them over a web browser and phone. Will the equipmentI have work for this application once I purchase the BI software?

Sorry for such a log post but I wanted to provide as muchdetail as possible when asking for advice.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
The router is a little dated if it will do any wireless stuff, a wireless N router might be a better choice then.

actruck

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The router is a little dated if it will do any wireless stuff, a wireless N router might be a better choice then.
Yes it is but I had a few extra lying around and it's been working non stop for almost two years so I hated to invest in a new one. I was planning on replacing it soon anyway so this project would be a good reason to do so.

actruck

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can anyone look at the hardware I have and tell me if they think this setup will work for what I plan to use it for? I know I need a newer router which is in the works. PC and camera wise, will what I have work ok with the BI software?

I have a Dell machine with an I5 Haswell, 8GB of ram and a 1TB Hard drive. I just need to make sure this setup will work for it's intended purpose before I invest in the BI software.

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Can anyone look at the hardware I have and tell me if they think this setup will work for what I plan to use it for? I know I need a newer router which is in the works. PC and camera wise, will what I have work ok with the BI software?

I have a Dell machine with an I5 Haswell, 8GB of ram and a 1TB Hard drive. I just need to make sure this setup will work for it's intended purpose before I invest in the BI software.

Thanks
How many cameras will you have total? will they all be run at 3mp?

actruck

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How many cameras will you have total? will they all be run at 3mp?
(2) Hikvision DS-2CD2032F-IW cameras (Plan to add two more at a later date)
(1) HikvisionDS-2CD2432F-IW camera.

This is what i have so far but I plan to add 2 more of the 2032F cameras at a later date. I also have 3 Swann cameras I received in (2) NVK-460 kits but I don't think I will be able to use these with the Hikvision cameras. I wish I could.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
the i5 will be sufficient with those cameras...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank You.

Would you happen to know if I can put the Swann cameras on the same network with the Hikvision cameras using BI?
you can certainly use them on the same network....you may be able to stream the footage to BI if the base unit can send a stream to a third party device...you are better off selling it and replacing it with proper network cameras...

actruck

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just purchased the full version of the software. I'm now trying to activate it but I can not get the "NEXT" button to be active in order to continue. I double checked the code I entered and everything is correct per my order info.

Does it maybe take a while for everything to process before the code provided can be activated?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just purchased the full version of the software. I'm now trying to activate it but I can not get the "NEXT" button to be active in order to continue. I double checked the code I entered and everything is correct per my order info.

Does it maybe take a while for everything to process before the code provided can be activated?
no the code should work right away...did you leave the dashes in? its easiest to simply copy and past the code from the confirmation page.

actruck

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Disregard my last post. User error! Software is activated.

actruck

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
no the code should work right away...did you leave the dashes in? its easiest to simply copy and past the code from the confirmation page.
I couldn't get the copy/paste to work for some odd reason so I had to manually type it in. I thought I had checked my entry carefully but my "2" should have been a "Z". LOL