New purple drive + old HDD

ml2000id

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently got a new 2TB WD purple drive and have placed all my recordings there. I have a standard HDD (500GB) with windows and BI installed and noticed in windows 7 resource monitor that the HDD with the OS and BI is still constantly active. I was hoping to limit HDD activity there since the HDD is not particularly rated for continuous NVR use or the like.

I saw that BI is accessing a bunch of .dat files and NTFS log file in the OS drive (see below - C/D/E drives are on my OS disk, whereas G is on my purple drive).
BI hdd activity.png
Now I am thinking of moving my BI database and log file to the purple drive, but have read on this forum to keep it on your OS drive. Any thoughts whether I should?

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I recently got a new 2TB WD purple drive and have placed all my recordings there. I have a standard HDD (500GB) with windows and BI installed and noticed in windows 7 resource monitor that the HDD with the OS and BI is still constantly active. I was hoping to limit HDD activity there since the HDD is not particularly rated for continuous NVR use or the like.

I saw that BI is accessing a bunch of .dat files and NTFS log file in the OS drive (see below - C/D/E drives are on my OS disk, whereas G is on my purple drive).
View attachment 17259
Now I am thinking of moving my BI database and log file to the purple drive, but have read on this forum to keep it on your OS drive. Any thoughts whether I should?

Thanks
Waste if time ...The drive will be fine..The data base should be stored in the fastest drive...SSD for os bi and database is ideal..