new Rhode Island plates not showing up on dahua LPR

qnzkrew

n3wb
Reaction score
new plates are not embossed like old ones. they are just flat and they show up as all white on dahua hfw5241E-Z12E. has anybody seen this elsewhere or is it just a setting issue to deal with new plates. thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep the new 3M printed plates suck and we have a thread discussing it. The blue they use is problematic for the infrared.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How long have you been running LPR? Could you get the old plates?

That plate looks pretty washed out - what shutter speed are you running?

Regardless, the problem is infrared can't see that particular blue that is being used very well, especially at distance.

The only thing I have found other than blasting the area with white light is to get the camera a lot closer.

In my testing if you can get within 40 feet you stand a decent chance.

I have moved mine as I could get well over 98% at 175 feet with the old raised character plates, and was getting less than 1% with new 3M printed plates with blue in it. That just wasn't cutting it.

So I had to go with the ornamental landscaping and hide it to get it closer. I now get most of the plates again.

When I tried blasting IR at my then 175 feet by turning several cameras to that spot as well as an IR blaster, it did nothing for the ability to capture the plate, but mine wasn't the focused Axton IR that costs more than the camera either LOL.

I tried everything but white light to try to not have to move my LPR as I had spent a long time dialing that in to the success I was getting.

qnzkrew

n3wb
Reaction score
How long have you been running LPR? Could you get the old plates?

That plate looks pretty washed out - what shutter speed are you running?

Regardless, the problem is infrared can't see that particular blue that is being used very well, especially at distance.

The only thing I have found other than blasting the area with white light is to get the camera a lot closer.

In my testing if you can get within 40 feet you stand a decent chance.

I have moved mine as I could get well over 98% at 175 feet with the old raised character plates, and was getting less than 1% with new 3M printed plates with blue in it. That just wasn't cutting it.

So I had to go with the ornamental landscaping and hide it to get it closer. I now get most of the plates again.

When I tried blasting IR at my then 175 feet by turning several cameras to that spot as well as an IR blaster, it did nothing for the ability to capture the plate, but mine wasn't the focused Axton IR that costs more than the camera either LOL.

I tried everything but white light to try to not have to move my LPR as I had spent a long time dialing that in to the success I was getting.
ive had no issues with getting the raise plates before i noticed this. what exactly changed by getting close if it gets washed put by the IR? i have a few of these cameras and one of them is pretty close to the vehciles and with the IR its all washed out. i think im runiing about 500 FPS at night if that helps

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That image of yours just looked too washed out like the shutter is slower - but I also realize that is the difficult dusk time and can be problematic.

I think you meant 1/500 shutter speed LOL.

Try bumping it up to 1/1,000 and 1/1,500 and 1/2000 and see if that helps. But like I said that blue is problematic for infrared.

Is your image all black at night except for the plate and head/tail lights?

qnzkrew

n3wb
Reaction score
That image of yours just looked too washed out like the shutter is slower - but I also realize that is the difficult dusk time and can be problematic.

I think you meant 1/500 shutter speed LOL.

Try bumping it up to 1/1,000 and 1/1,500 and 1/2000 and see if that helps. But like I said that blue is problematic for infrared.

Is your image all black at night except for the plate and head/tail lights?
yes at night its beautiful. all black with lights barely visible and plate in full view. some cameras i havent messed with in a while since they worked well so ill play with the frame rate some more

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK then yeah you will have some of the same troubles we have. Yours may be even worse or right up there with TN since it looks like your plates have blue print and blue in the background.