New SD card line from Sandisk for sruveillance cameras

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sandisk has new line of SD cards specifically made for home security cameras and dashcams. Before you get too excited, being able to record 5,000 hours of video may seem impressive, but it's 208 days if recording continuously, but for most recording events, it may last 1-2 years which is pretty good for an SD card.

SanDisk High Endurance Video Monitoring microSDHC/microSDXC card with Adapter

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Interesting, what's the warranty on the other cards?

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Other cards have a 10 year warranty and this one has a 2 year warranty. Guess you take a chance it may break quicker than the non surveillance rated cards

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The best warranty I've seen is on MicroCenter's house brand cards. If it ever fails for any reason, bring it in and they will replace it over the counter. But the issue is do you want to deal with it or will this new Sandisk truly last longer and 2 years would exceed my expectations.

What I mean with deal with it is you can lose valuable recordings if the SD card fails and murphy's law, it will fail when you need it most. The other issue is labor. If I have to get a ladder, disassemble a camera, for example remove the dome cover, retrieve the card, get a warranty replacement, insert the new card, format it and make sure it works, could be annoying.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
True. If it's an easily accessed caMera go with the longer warranty otherwise get the high endurance probably

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Makes me wonder how long my ordinary 16 GB card may last in my kitchen cam. It uses something like 10 GB for video storage and is completely overwritten about 4 times a month as it only holds a week's worth of motion recordings. It has been going for at least 6 months.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Makes me wonder how long my ordinary 16 GB card may last in my kitchen cam. It uses something like 10 GB for video storage and is completely overwritten about 4 times a month as it only holds a week's worth of motion recordings. It has been going for at least 6 months.
that is what kills the cards the rewriting over and over and over. SSD have a write life the more you write the shorter its life. its just a big SD card a bit more technical but in a sense its a SD card.

Im willing to bet some where deep down in the roots of SSD its platform was from the SD card

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
that is what kills the cards the rewriting over and over and over. SSD have a write life the more you write the shorter its life. its just a big SD card a bit more technical but in a sense its a SD card.

Im willing to bet some where deep down in the roots of SSD its platform was from the SD card
Yeah there is no doubt about that. SSDs get all their amazing speed by reading and writing from lots of memory locations at once, kind of like an embedded RAID array over a whole bunch of tiny disks.