New system or keep what I have?

Cor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello all ,

I have an I5- 3570, 3,4ghz , on a Asus P8H77-I motherboard,8 GB DDR3, SSD for OS and programms.
16 HD Cameras, all 15 fps, direct to disk.
4 cameras are duplicated, and only used for the webserver, and trigger on motion to record.
webserver, all cameras 80% quality.
It is an almost dedicated BI machines , I also use it to view movies occasionally on it with VLC player.

With adding the last 3 Cameras and duplicating the 4 cameras , I went from 30-40% CPU to now 65-75% in client mode.
That is a lot , but is it also too much? All seems to be working OK and no issues.

Keep the machine or should I really upgrade to a new motherboard and CPU , if yes , which one?

Thanks,
Cor

Cor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
But that is not an answer to the question.
It is optimised as per that thread, and the system I allready have.

The main question is, do I keep this system or better buy a new system.

RJF

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Putting aside the question whether any additional optimization could be done, given that the system is running fine it seems like the question is whether there is anything inherently wrong with your computer constantly running at 65-75%. I would think the answer is no, except that it will use more energy, but hard to believe the increase in energy costs could justify buying a whole new system.

Cor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@ RJF , thanks for your answer. energy consumption is one . Another issue could be , when the machine is running constantly at 70% , will it die on me much earlier? If the lifespan decreases 50 % or so , with this increase in cpu / heat , and I will need to buy one anyway next year because it will die , I am better off buying a new one now. With running at 70% does blue iris cope with that will I lose frames or so.

Those are important questions to me ,
Cor

RJF

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Voltage and heat are the primary factors contributing to the life of a cpu, as I understand it, with higher clock cycles tending to increase heat. As long as you are adequately cooled, the cpu should be fine. Processors in server farms work a lot harder than yours is working.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You might try dropping the frame rate to 10 on some or all cams and see how that impacts cpu. That is usually more than enough for surveillance.

Cor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@ NoloC; No , I don;t want to lower the quality or framerate . The quality and framerate I have now is exactly how I want it.
@ RJF; ah ok , that makes sense than to me , I don;t have to worry that the system when the load is always this high.

I noticed that occasionally ( when I logon with teamviewer and open the console) , the CPU peaks close to 100%, what happends than? , will I lose frames? or what happends than?

Thanks,
Cor

RJF

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not an expert at Blue Iris or what happens to frame rates when your CPU is at 100, but I'm going to hypothesize that either (i) you don't lose any frames or (ii) you lose an insignificant number of frames during the brief period of time that your computer hits 100. But I think that is what caches and buffers are for (to prevent such loss). In any event, there's no guarantee that some faster system is not going to hit 100 now and again.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Team viewer is a resource hog. Yes, it can cause dropped frames when cpu hit's 100%.
Be sure to clean all fans every couple of months.

Cor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah , I noticed about 20% increase everytime when I use Teamviewer. But I only use it occasionally to change something in the configuration or so.
What do you mean with "clean fans" ?
thanks,
Cor

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah , I noticed about 20% increase everytime when I use Teamviewer. But I only use it occasionally to change something in the configuration or so.
What do you mean with "clean fans" ?
thanks,
Cor
As hard as your machine is running, keep the dirt cleaned off of the fans inside the computer case regularly.

Cor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good idea! .... I think it is very much time to open the case and do some cleaning

Cor

Cor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think I m gonna buy a new system. Will look this week if there are new drivers for the cpu-motherboard I have ( something I read in this forum), but I doubt I will go down again to an acceptable level with this system.

So, thinking of a new system.
I have now 16 3-4 MP (hikvision, Dahua) Cameras, 15 FPS, direct to disk. I will have 4-5 of these cameras duplicated as well. so in totall 20-21 cameras for live feed , 16 Cameras for recording.
It will be an almost dedicated BI machine , ( just occasionally watching a movie with (VLC) player on it , since this is the machine connected to my Television screen).

Any opinions about this setup?:
-CPU: Intel I-7 7700K , 4,2Ghz , 8MB, S1151.
-Memory: gskill flare x 16 or 32 GB ddr4 2400mhz cl16
-Motherboard: gigabyte B-250M gaming 3 , mATX s1151 4xddr4

Good , bad, overkill , underkill?

Does it matter voor BI , if I take 16 or 32 GB memory?
Thanks,
Cor

Cor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No one can give me a headset up if this is good ,sufficient , Ok , bad?

And the amount of RAM?

Thanks,
Cor

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No one can give me a headset up if this is good ,sufficient , Ok , bad?

And the amount of RAM?

Thanks,
Cor
Using the forum search tool to research your CPU, it looks like it's one of the fastest CPUs available out there. It has Intel QuickSync, so it's good for BI.

Regarding RAM, the Hardware Guide suggests 8GB for bigger builds. Looks like you have 8GB in your current system. What's the memory load currently? If your current system isn't paging swap to disk, 16GB for your new system sounds good.

When searching the forum for your motherboard, I didn't see any direct results, but it looks like it has everything you need.

I'm still new at this, but it sounds like a good build. I'd be curious to know what your CPU usage drops down to.

Cor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for your answer.

With all cameras on , and recording , webbrowser open with live feed , it is around 3 GB.
You are saying , I won't notice a difference than with 16 or 32 GB?

What is paging swap to disk?
I have it setup like this: 2 external 3TB drived (via USB3) which records the 24/7 video of all cameras.

Believe me , I am curious as well :blankstare:

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Swapping to disk is when the computer runs out of physical RAM. It will take portions of data stored in RAM (that haven't been used recently) and temporarily write ("swap") it out on the disk drive. If that data is requested, then the computer has to read it back from the disk drive, which is a lot slower than if it was in physical RAM.

If you are currently only using 3GB of RAM on a 8GB system, I don't think you'll notice any performance change by adding more RAM. Since you're building a new system that you want to last for awhile, I don't think it's a bad thing to help "future proof" it by going with 16GB RAM.

Cor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
16 GB will for sure be in the new system. Just wondering if I should go for 32GB?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
At this point, unless your other apps require a lot of RAM, I'd personally go with 16GB and leave enough slots open that I could upgrade to 32GB if something came up down the road.