New to all this, just installed Dahua DH-SD29204T-GN, now what?

Reaction score
Hello to anyone reading this. Thanks for helping me find the right PoE and cables and camera. It was this forum that convinced me to buy all the aforementioned.

Would anyone mind helping a novice ipcam dude with the following:

1 - What is a NVR / DVR and why would we spring for one?
2 - How does a Mac-iOS only home remotely monitor on mobile data?
3 - Does the Dahua DH-SD29204T-GN save to the SD card or elsewhere?
4 - When activity is detected, will the camera turn on and then focus on the movement or just turn on from its static place of rest and record from that point of view?

Thank you for helping me and my wife. I was attacked by a bunch of ruffians outside my home two days ago and would like to be more actively vigilant if the punks want to come back. (I stood my ground and called the cops, but no arrests have been made) Unfortunately, my camera was not installed (nor in range), but the nights are getting longer and I do not want to be a victim of home robbery. Having full control of our camera will allow me to sleep better at night, literally.

So any help you can offer is genuinely appreciated.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello to anyone reading this. Thanks for helping me find the right PoE and cables and camera. It was this forum that convinced me to buy all the aforementioned.

Would anyone mind helping a novice ipcam dude with the following:

1 - What is a NVR / DVR and why would we spring for one?
2 - How does a Mac-iOS only home remotely monitor on mobile data?
3 - Does the Dahua DH-SD29204T-GN save to the SD card or elsewhere?
4 - When activity is detected, will the camera turn on and then focus on the movement or just turn on from its static place of rest and record from that point of view?

Thank you for helping me and my wife. I was attacked by a bunch of ruffians outside my home two days ago and would like to be more actively vigilant if the punks want to come back. (I stood my ground and called the cops, but no arrests have been made) Unfortunately, my camera was not installed (nor in range), but the nights are getting longer and I do not want to be a victim of home robbery. Having full control of our camera will allow me to sleep better at night, literally.

So any help you can offer is genuinely appreciated.
1-this is where most folks would record the video from the camera.
2-Using the software Idmms from Dahua and a proper VPN setup.
Category:IDMSS - Dahua Wiki
3-It can if you install one, or it can record to the NVR.
4-Camera is on all the time, and preferably recording all of the time. In addition you can setup motion detection in the camera to also "mark" events.

Typically, you are better off with multiple fixed cameras instead of a PTZ. The PTZ has a high likely hood of looking the wrong way when something happens.

Reaction score
Thank you for the response. This is our very first venture into this sphere, and we have learned (and continue to learn) much from the forums. We will opt for more cameras later, yes. As for the IDMSS, it works now. On recording - are your cameras recording 24/7?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for the response. This is our very first venture into this sphere, and we have learned (and continue to learn) much from the forums. We will opt for more cameras later, yes. As for the IDMSS, it works now. On recording - are your cameras recording 24/7?
Yes, 24/7, plus motion events. That way if motion misses something that occurred just prior to motion being triggered, you can go back and see what was missed.

If you are referring to the IDMSS app, no you don't need to purchase a computer. Put an SD card in the camera, record to the SD card, then IDMSS can view the recordings.